• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprint or undertype?

7 posts in this topic

I was disappointed when I got this Middlesex penny token

because of the fingerprint or fingerprints on the reverse.

However, the longer I stared at it, the more it appeared there

were artifacts of an underlying coin or token. The "swirly"

area is approximately 25 mm across so many of the wheatsheaf

tokens seemed to small. After going through D&H and the coins

of Britain twice, I appeal to the board. Does anyone recognize

either the underlying pattern (or the fingerprint?) ;)

Mergedportcullis-1.jpg

It certainly doesn't look like a fingerprint, and it does look like it is struck over something else, but there is nothing in the Conder token series that matches that underimage. It's a penny sized token so there arent a lot of possibilities.

Thanks fellows. I was so focussed on the odd reverse that I didn't immediately realize that it was sent to me in error in another token's envelope! I hope I don't have to give it back as it's a bit more interesting than a typical token.

Gave up on this until I came across an image of Midd 156 on Gary Sriro's CD. (right image.) Apparently,

there is more than one token with similar if not identical undertype. Turns out the Midd 169 on the left

has the edge of Skidmore's Clerkenwell pennies but that still doesn't explain the pattern since no Clerkenwell

has anything like that design.

Merged156obvSriroand169rev.jpg