• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any ANA Medal Collectors... I need help/info

9 posts in this topic

Whenever I go to a show, I always try to find something neat. Sure, the concept of "neat" is in the eye of the beholder, but while walking the floor at Baltimore, I found it in the following:

1976-ANA-Medal-Set.jpg

I like it because it is the 1976 convention and I am looking at all things numismatic from 1976, especially if it has something to do with the bicentennial. The case and the medals have the star logo from the American Revolution Bicentennial Association.

The case appears to be Lucite with clear outer layers and the blue inner layer. The larger medals are approximately 38 mm and the smaller one is about 18 mm. I am guessing that the two larger medals are pewter and bronze--I am not sure what the smaller one is made of, but it looks like bronze. The ribbon on the left is between the top and middle layers and the set is numbered "546."

Does anyone know what the medals are made of? How many were made? Was there a story behind the set? Any information would be helpful!

Scott :hi:

Scott, I've got all the info pertaining to mintage at home, but I'm at work right now. Your 38mm medals are bronze and antique silver. For other years, the silver is more prooflike. The 18mm is also bronze. If you took the Capital holder apart and removed the medals, you should see the number, 546, stamped on the edge of all of the medals. These 3-medal sets were only produced from 1969-1982 and the medals from each year depict some representation of the host city for the ANA Convention.

I have every year except 1981, and I have been trying for more than rwo years to find it.

Chris

Chris... THANKS!

I should have guessed that this was a custom made holder from Capital Plastics. It makes sense... and it just didn't come to mind!

I paid $15 for the set. Considering the price of the metals alone, I may have a pretty good bargain!!

Any other information would be helpful.

Very good deal Scott. As Chris says he has been searching for that one year, I have looked and looked and can not find it. Perhaps this thread will result in someone finding this one elusive medal for our friend.

Rey

$15 is a steal! I was contemplating collecting them before but decided against it. I had two sets. I gave Chris one he needed and kept the 1980. They do have a collector base following. They normally sell for closer to $40.

Chris... THANKS!

I should have guessed that this was a custom made holder from Capital Plastics. It makes sense... and it just didn't come to mind!

I paid $15 for the set. Considering the price of the metals alone, I may have a pretty good bargain!!

Any other information would be helpful.

Scott, I did make one small error when I quoted some of the stats from work. The smaller, bronze medal is 19mm, not 18mm. The mintage for the 1976 set was 575, and by the way, also stamped on the edge of all of the silver medals is ".999 FINE SILVER"

Of all of the 3-medal sets from 1969-1982, the lowest mintage was 350 and the highest mintage was 750, though there is no mintage recorded for 1969. From 1969-1980, the sets were presented in the Capital holders, and for 1981 & 1982, they were placed in a hinged, presentation case.

The 1969 set is the one that "hooked" me into collecting them. I've added some pictures below. Would you like to take a guess at what was responsible for it?

Chris

48050-_MG_1996.JPG.03d1fd86134f9eff918ffcd373dda460.JPG

48051-_MG_1997.JPG.4ae840cdc44c4e19e18838ba227b733b.JPG

Chris... now you are going to make me open the case and look at the medals! :baiting: In this case it will let me replace them "face up" so it has a consistent look.

I like the Philadelphia medal using the Liberty cap design.

This is why I like hanging around here... youse guys are the best. THANKS! :applause:

:devil:

Some of my medals didn't fit snugly in the Capital holders. I didn't want them to flop around inside, so I removed all of them. (I saved the Capital holders, though.)

I put them in 2x2's. Then, I mounted those into 2-1/2x2-1/2's.

Chris