• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chopmark Mexico 8 Reals in an NGC holder!!!

18 posts in this topic

This is an NGC MS64 Mexico 8 reals coin.

ACF246A.jpg

I bought it last month but had not checked it carefully before. When I wanted to take some pictures for it this morning, I found a chopmark on the reverse.

chopmark.jpg

y1.jpg

I can not believe it happens on an NGC graded coin since I thought they did not accept chopmarked coins. The grader did not mention the chopmark on the label.

label.jpg

What should I do? May I send this coin to NGC for "overgrade"? Are they responsible for this problem? Given that I can not return it to the dealer, should I ask NGC for refund or resell it on ebay as a problem coin at a discount price?

I am not entirely sure that is a chopmark, just doesn't look like it to me. If it is a chopmark, it is not really a "problem", there are plenty of people who like them and will not mind them on their coins.

I am not entirely sure that is a chopmark
I don't know what it is, but it's not like any chopmark I've ever seen, and is definitely not a Chinese character.

I’m no expert however that doesn’t appear to be a chop mark to me.

All the chop marks I have seen will show the opposite side of the coin to be distorted as silver is soft and the force from chopping will push metal.

BTW ….Nice looking 8 Real (thumbs u

I’m no expert however that doesn’t appear to be a chop mark to me.

All the chop marks I have seen will show the opposite side of the coin to be distorted as silver is soft and the force from chopping will push metal.

BTW ….Nice looking 8 Real (thumbs u

Didn't even think of that - good going! Actually, I had considered that this might be a strikethrough of some sort. That would explain this much better, I think.

Thank you all! I'm not sure if it is a Chinese character, but it looks like a Chinese character, a surname in China.

cha.jpg

I agree that it looks like a small chop. Is there a slightly raised area on the other side of the coin?

Hi everybody.

The mark looks like 丁 to me. It's a common character often found as a chop.

If you are interested you should join the Chopmarked Collectors Club [CCC]. I am the editor of the newsletter, the Chopmark News, and we are always looking for no blood in the club. It's free to join as is the e-edition of the newsletter. So if you're interested email me at:

chopmarknews 'at' gmail.com ['at' = @] and I'll send you a free newsletter.

Colin Gullberg

Whether NGC (or PCGS) decide to grade chopmarked coins is up to them but I understood that they did not.

In my opinion, these coins are "damaged", I would not buy one and believe they should sell at a (possibly substantial) discount to one without it.

Some chopmarks are exceedingly rare, that's why they'll slab. I've seen hundreds if not thousands of chopmarked coins in slabs. 95% are marked on the insert.

I'm not familiar with the rarity of specific DAM (Date, Assayer, Mintmark) combinations with or without chopmarks, but I can tell everyone here that some DAM are quite scarce.

The 8R is by far the most common denomination as a type coin and it is the "easiest" to collect as a set. The 4R is by far the scarcest and the 1R seems to be slightly scarcer than the 2R. The 1/2R seems to be the second most common.