• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like thge "Attack of the Potato Peeler"

7 posts in this topic

Evening' guys.

I'm still sorting through masses of minor foreign, not quite sure why...but they WILL all be in little (or big) zip lock baggies soon. The good news...I can see the dining room table again.

I stumbled on this Australian half cent this evening. I don't know if the picture shows it clearly, but it looks as if someone peeled back parts of the planchet prior to striking, but the major design details in the peeled area are only minimally effected. Then there's this big "lump" below the E in PENNY, and the 19 in the date is speckled. MY guess is a defective planchet and the peeled stuff got mushed into the area below the "E". The obverse is normal. Maybe a metal mixture mishap. Anyway, an interesting error for some error collector somewhere in E-Bay land. Is there a "term" for this kind of thing?

Many thanks. RI AL

Please check next post for picture.

It is called a planchet lamination. Cause by either a gas bubble or foreign object being trapped in the metal. When the ingot is rolled out into strip the bubble or foreign object gets rolled as well resulting in layers of metal that are separated by the bubble of foreign object. If these break the surface of the strip the metal can separate or "flake" such as seen on your coin.

Thanks, Condor.

That's really interesting. I think that this is the first lamination error I have seen.

Appreciate the assistance!!!

RI AL

HI, Physics, and thanks. Guess I will bump it up a bit on the E-Bay list. Not my area of collecting, but I know someone will appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

RI AL

Coin just arrived in the mail ( I bought it from him), and I must say it is even more spectacular in person. The lamination is deep, very deep, right down the center of the coin. I am very happy with this purchase, and RI AL was excellent to do business with!