• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ready with my little jar of acetone....but

8 posts in this topic

HI, guys.

I read that acetone (when used correctly AND SAFELY) can be an asset to collectors of "crudacious", slimy coins. So, I marched down to Home Depot today and picked up a small can, which I will try in my well ventilated garage.

I wasn't quite sure HOW to do the deed, but found a really well written (I thought) article on coin cleaning. Now...I do NOT clean coin (confession...I did use baking soda and a Brillo pad on a few as a kid)...but I have some foreign silver with tape grunge, PVC green ooze and other yucky slime of unquestionably alien biological origin. So, before I became dip happy, I read the article and am sending a link here if anyone is interested.

http://www.omnicoin.com/news/NumismaticArticles/GeneralTopics/TruthAboutCleaningCoins/tabid/48/Default.aspx

RI AL

Al,

A warning if you purchased the 1 pint can at Home Depot. The top of the can is rectangular with a cap on one end and If you try to pour it with the cap end down it will gush all over the place-Extremely dangerous and please follow the safety instructions on the label. If you turn the can with the cap end up it will pour gently without gushing. Good luck.

Al,

A warning if you purchased the 1 pint can at Home Depot. The top of the can is rectangular with a cap on one end and If you try to pour it with the cap end down it will gush all over the place-Extremely dangerous and please follow the safety instructions on the label. If you turn the can with the cap end up it will pour gently without gushing. Good luck.

Another solution to this problem that I use is to take the cap (of the same size) from an empty can and drill a hole in it to insert a short piece of soft, plastic tubing. The hole should be slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the tubing. It creates a tight seal and you avoid any spillage. When you've finished, just replace the "pour spout" with the original cap.

Chris