• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bought an 1883 CC GSA Morgan dollars

10 posts in this topic

I just bought an 1883 CC GSA morgan dollar. To my untrained eye it looks like it would grade around ms 65 or 66. It also looks to me like it would be more valuable in an NGC or PCGS slab than it is in the GSA case. I am wondering if it is ethical to remove it from the GSA case and if I am right and it is worth my while. Thanks

I just bought an 1883 CC GSA morgan dollar. To my untrained eye it looks like it would grade around ms 65 or 66. It also looks to me like it would be more valuable in an NGC or PCGS slab than it is in the GSA case. I am wondering if it is ethical to remove it from the GSA case and if I am right and it is worth my while. Thanks
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your coin.

NGC will certify GSA Morgans while still in their holders and allow the coins to remain in those holders. Here is a link to a previous EBay listing of one that shows what they look like: see here

I am not certain, but think that PCGS will note "GSA" on their grading labels, but not allow the coin to be certified and remain in its GSA holder. If I am mistaken, hopefully someone will chime in.

There is nothing unethical about removing a GSA coin from its holder, but I don't think that is necessary to get it certified. Do you have images that you can post here?

I am aware that NGC & PCGS will grade the coin in the GSA case. It just looks on the PCGS price guide like it might be worth more in a NGC or PCGS case instead of the GSA one. I will scan it when I get back home Monday.
The PCGS price guide, like any other, is often inaccurate.

Keeping the coin in the GSA holder and having NGC certify/grade it does not make its value any less than if it were removed and placed in an NGC holder. In fact, that might very well decrease its value.

Based upon several recent auction sale prices, the PCGS price guide price of $450 for MS65's of that date is too high. Ditto for the $850 price listed for MS66's.

Please don't take offense but

To my untrained eye it looks like it would grade around ms 65 or 66.

contains a very important word, "untrained". We have all seen a LOT of "untrained eye" 65's and 66's that when seen by trained eyes morph into 63's and 64's. Sometimes even worse, into cleaned or polished AU's. Since this coin is in a GSA slab it isn't likely to be an AU, but until it is seen there would be a lot of skepticism about the 65 - 66 as well.