• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are people using to scan/picture your coins?

11 posts in this topic

I have a nice Nikon Digital SLR and a decent HP flatbed scanner. But my pics are horrible compared to most here. (I do need a better macro lens)

What is everyone using here to get such great detail?

I know for a fact that some of the best photographers here use the DSLR with amazing results. Get yourself a nice lens, a few OTT lights, a quality copy stand, and you should be fine.

I have gotten after much practice decent results with a Kodak Easyshare C875. Took me a while to get the setup just right so the coins look the same as in hand, but I am rather pleased with this camera now that I know how to use it. The camera shoots at 8 megapixels, so the details come out half decent. Since I am playing with it now, how about one of my recent re-shoots...

100_0923.jpg

100_0924.jpg

It basically looks this way in hand, except for a little bit of light reflection at 6 oclock

If you have an SLR your half way there, A Macro lens makes all the difference in the world, of course knowing your cameras ability's helps also. When you know the difference between f 2.8 and f 13 + knowing when to adjust your ISO, and the light metering Wow what a difference.

Anyway I use a Rebel XT with a 60 MM Macro, if I want to focus in on a particular part of a coin I use F 2.8 if I want the whole coin to show all of the details I go up to f 12 with the ISO around 200/300, using a tripod with a remote button also reduces camera shake.

Lighting (very important) I use two ott lights with a florescent in the background just for a little extra, now I'm still learning but I'm getting better all the time.

I have a Sony Alpha DSLR and I love it. These pics are shot with a totally manual lens. The last pic is exactly how the coin appears in hand and I finally got the color right by using an exposure length of 6 seconds and very little lighting. Of course you need a copy stand or steady tripod!!

Bruce

DSC04438.jpg

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04440.jpg

My inexpensive coin photography setup

I have made a few changes since I made that webpage, though. I've added a few bean bags filled with sand to counter the shake from my mirror flipping (since the d70 doesn't have a mirror lockup). I've also switched from the 18-70mm zoom lens to a much better Sigma 150 mm macro lens I bought second hand. The tripod is a problem (it's not sturdy enough), but I've been toying with plans for designing my own camera stand using an existing heavy wooden stand I built for a fishtank and adding some steel square bar to mount the camera on.

Example photos follow, illustrating the difference between the original setup (first pic) and the new one with the macro lens and beanbags (second pic).

47993-050-0039a.jpg.92136378f4ad28aa072b4e9918384931.jpg

47994-050-0039b.jpg.53e8c26d669f12ca2eb5398ae58ec513.jpg

I use the Nikon D40 (just switched to digital and my father is rolling over in his grave... he hated digital) and it has the 35-80. The camera has the macro setting but clearly the lens is not macro. I can't get closer than 6-7".

Guess I'll pick up a new lens. I've been an avid photographer for years and had tons of Canon 35mm stuff but it got too expensive with film. I know little about Nikon's stuff at the moment but I know Sigma well. I think I'll try looking for that 150mm macro that Michaels using. Tremendous detail there.

Thanks all. I thought most must be scanning. Nice to know the digital is the way to go.

I use a very old Sony digital camera that I've owned for years. It's is model DCS-S70 with Zeiss lens. I've gotten used to its idiosyncrasies and I’m not looking forward to replacing it.

The hardest shots for me are toned Proof coins. They usually come out dull and muddy in the photos while in real life they have lots of luster under the toning. I also have more trouble photographing coins in PCGS holders than NGC holders because the PCGS convex window. It tends to pick up more reflections. The best pictures are of raw coins and medals.

I have a scanner, but I hate the thing. It is very fickle and a pain to use. The first scanner I owned constantly screamed for more memory. This new one does not do that, but the dumb thing has a mind of its own. My wife likes it, but I think it’s a pile of junk.