• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on NGC's attribution service.

6 posts in this topic

Mr Lange posted on a previous thread:

"Not a stupid question at all. This information is included in all our published literature, though I don't believe it appears on our website. For the record, NGC recognizes the following variety categories:

Half cents by Cohen numbers

Large cents by Sheldon (1793-1814) and Newcomb (1816-57) numbers

Half dimes (1794-1837) by Logan-McCloskey numbers

Dimes (1796-1837) by John Reich numbers

Quarter dollars (1796-1838) by Browning numbers

Half dollars (1794-1836) by Overton numbers

Silver dollars (1794-1804) by Bowers-Borckardt numbers

Silver dollars (1878-1935) by VAM numbers (8TF, 7/8TF, TOP-100 and HOT-50 varieties only)

All varieties in the Red Book and the Cherrypickers' Guide

NGC doesn't do Breen numbers and doesn't do any varieties that don't fall into one of the above categories. There's a $5 charge for variety attributions at the time of grading. Coins already holdered by NGC can receive an attribution for $10, which includes the cost of reholdering.

Hope that helps. "

Dimes he states they only lisy JR #s. The problem, JR#'s just dont work for seated dimes. My question:

Dave,

I would love to cross over some of my rarer seated dime varities. Would you list Ahwash or Greer numbers on these coins?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The demand for most of the varieties in the various Seated Liberty books is so limited that it's not worth the programming effort to include them. Besides, the really good ones that do command a premium are in the Cherrypickers' Guide or will be down the road, and NGC recognizes those varieties.

David,

Wow... Thank for for a quick reply! smile.gif

So lets say for instance a 1841-O Small O closed buds. It would only be labeled by its FS# or the FS# & "small O closed buds" (or something to that effect)?

Thanks

Sean

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The label for this variety will read:

1841 O CLOSED BUD 10C

FS-003.3

MS 67 (you wish!) grin.gif