• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

conservation of recolored lincoln cent

2 posts in this topic

i purchased a 1917d lincoln cent on ebay which should grade out at ms65 maybe a 66,unfortunately it has be recolored with what ever is being used to make them look like a red hot off the presses coin.i sent it into ngc,and it was sent back with no grade because of the recoloring.can ncs remove whatever retoning solution that was used to make the coin appear more red than it should be without damaging the surface,and then be graded by ngc and slabbed.ive seen some of your fine work done on the salvage coins from the uss republic,iam impressed,please let me know if you can help out my situation.the 17d lincoln cent is a very beautiful coin and it doesnt look to have been cleaned, just recolored.

Of the three most common coin metals, copper is the most reactive. When a copper coin has been given a treatment to artificially color it, the surface metal has been chemically changed. This chemical change, unfortunately, can not be changed through professional conservation.

Chris, NCS