• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Ugliest State Quarter?

51 posts in this topic

With the release of the 2007's in mint sets, it seems that however you mint a few of these-whatever finish or minting process- the designs are just ugly.. :sick:

Which state quarter do you think is the ugliest. :makepoint:..and which ones do you really like? :cloud9:

PS: I find the presidential dollars pretty lame also...I've seen more attractive subway tokens...

I think Virginia, West Virginia, and Vermont came away with pretty nice looking coins.

Wyoming is easily the worst IMO on the basis of shear lack of creativity.

I also like Rhode Island, Kentucky, Mississippi, Colorado, and Nebraska.

I prefer the ones were the design is cohesive and you don't just have an outline of the state or a bunch of clutter jammed into the design.

I think Virginia, West Virginia, and Vermont came away with pretty nice looking coins.

Wyoming is easily the worst IMO on the basis of shear lack of creativity.

I also like eRode Island, Kentucky, Mississippi, Colorado, and Nebraska.

I prefer the ones were the design is cohesive and you don't just have an outline of the state or a bunch of clutter jammed into the design.

I agree 100% with the Wyoming assessment. It sucks!

I just perused my collection which I've saved out of circulation and found that Colorado and Nevada exceed the others by far in appeal. Arkansas, Mississippi, Virginia, New Jersey, Montana and Kansas are ok. The rest are dogs, IMO.

Wyoming gets my vote for ugliest as others have indicated because of the terrible reverse design or lack thereof.

I like the Utah because of the trains on the reverse but of course I am biased due to that.

Rey

There are so many to choose from….how can one decide?

I'd like them all if they were MS69 Business Strikes.

1. Nevada or California

45. Wyoming, then

46. Wyoming, then

47. Wyoming, then

48. Wyoming, then

49. Wyoming, then

50. Wyoming, then

Chris

Wyoming is pretty bad. That outline of the bucking bronco looks like something that was taken from a merry-go-round advertising sign.

It looks like their license plate, but they should have made it more realistic and added some dead bugs.

Chris

Wyoming is pretty bad. That outline of the bucking bronco looks like something that was taken from a merry-go-round advertising sign.

It looks like their license plate, but they should have made it more realistic and added some dead bugs.

That's not fair!! I thought of that as I was scrolling down! :makepoint:

Here are my bottom five, from bad to worse:

:boo:Florida with three designs and nothing to tie them together

:screwy:Texas... it must have been designed by a Cowboys fan

:P The hanging astronaut on the Ohio quarter

:oMontana... that skull is very disturbing!

:flamed:Wyoming... it works better on a license plate

I have not seen a Utah quarter in hand, but I love the images I've seen. Some of the best quarters have historical significance. I think that the historical themes were what was intended for the series. Starting with Caesar Rodney for Delaware was perfect!

But that's my 2c .

Scott :hi:

There are so many to choose from….how can one decide?
Apparently, it's not so difficult. CCHDs have similar numbers. Is it hard to decide there?

I like NV the best because the design just works for me. CA is a bit busy but I like it. It's also very historic given the rich part of history Yosemite played in the US - people simply did not believe the reports when they first started coming out. NH is about as creative as WY but the texture makes it a winner. It's also very timely given the the passing of the Old Man.

The ones on the bottom of my list are the ones with state outlines and even more when there are other unrelated things attached.

too funny perry, I think the diver is exploring the depths of Lake Erie...my favorite is Nevada with Mississippi right near the top, and of course you can't go wrong putting a ship on coinage (rhode island virginia, maine) unless you're Florida...what dim bulbs decided to re-hash the same theme from the 1992 Columbus Commem $1? It didn't work then either.......so a last place tie for complete lack of creativity goes to Florida and ......Wyoming of course..

HEY! :mad: That's uncalled for... most Texans don't even like the Dallas Cowboys... most texans don't even like Dallas I think...

I would have to vote for Wyoming too. Butt ugly...flat...uninteresting...but other than that...it's fine.

How about "no longer accurate" state quarters. Back when the New Hampshire quarters came out, I bought 22 rolls, brand new from the bank. The design is no longer accurate because "The Old Man of the Mountain" outline on the edge of the mountain (state emblem) came to a crashing end a few years back...made a mess in the road below...but sadly, the "Old Man" is no more. Now he is "The Old Man in Someone's Stone Driveway"

RI AL

HEY! :mad: That's uncalled for... most Texans don't even like the Dallas Cowboys... most texans don't even like Dallas I think...

Born in Texas, like the Cowboys and actually everything Texan.. :acclaim:

Born in Texas, like the Cowboys and actually everything Texan.. :acclaim:

Born and raised, I'm not a big fan of the Cowboys... or football...

Well I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could. lol Moved to Irving in 1980 and pretty much been here in Tx. ever since. (thumbs u I'm also an Astro fan!

Of course, I would think that any one of the states quarters designs would be beautiful if I had a whole roll of MS69/70 Business Strikes.

Chris

Of course, I would think that any one of the states quarters designs would be beautiful if I had a whole roll of MS69/70 Business Strikes.

Chris

Wouldn't we all?

Don't let Rev speak for all of us! I like Dallas and the Cowboys. I'm going to the Thanksgiving day game in another week and a half, fulfilling one of my childhood dreams.

I would probably agree with Scott B that the Texas quarter is not one of the best, but I'm biased, so I won't.

Wyoming is definitely ugly. The Colorado and Nevada quarters have been a couple of my favorites.

I would have to vote for Wyoming too. Butt ugly...flat...uninteresting...but other than that...it's fine.

Come on folks, the Wyoming quarter does still have one redeeming quality to it.

It still works in vending machines.