• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My daughter stole one of my coins.....not sure what to do.......

34 posts in this topic

So I am sitting at my computer desk with my QX3 trying to capture images of VAM diagnostics so someone can tell me how rich I am with all of these super rare VAMS :cloud9:

.....and all of the sudden my daughter decides to come over and look at my coins. This isn't a new occurrence as she has always taken a keen interest in the coins so I make sure to show her each one I pluck out of the mailbox. After making sure she took every coin out of its assigned spot in the trays and mixing them all up she proceeds to walk off with a handleful of them and headed for her room. I caught up to her and let her know I needed them back as they weren't toys (in my best serious adult voice) so she handed them over and I thought disaster averted. I got back to what I was doing secure in the knowledge that while all of my coins still needed to be put back in order… at least she didn't try to play 52 card pick up with a handful of Morgan’s hm

About 30 minutes later I spot her out of the corner of my eye looking at something on the couch, so I asked her what she was looking at and she responded that she was looking at her new coin. :o I went over to take a closer look at noticed that she had apparently stashed an 1883-O Rainbow toned Morgan Silver dollar before I had caught up with her (at least she has good taste) and now somehow felt that possession was 9/10th of the law doh!

I told her in a nice quite voice that daddy needed his coin back but she reasoned with me that I had all the other coins so this coin was hers. Ok...plan "B"....I offered to pick her up a new toy in exchange for my missing Morgan........she told me I was a funny daddy and then informed me I was standing in her way and she couldn't see the cartoons.... hm She was right I was so.....so on to plan "C".....I told her she could have the coin but that daddy would hold onto it for her and she could see it when ever she wanted too. She pondered this option for a while and then finally gave in to my stern demands....."Please Emmy...give daddy his coin honey". Wow I didn't know I had the strength within me....I don't know if I am smarter than a 5th grader but I know I bargain with the best 4 year olds in the world lol lol lol lol

Here's her mugshot.....caught red handed:

Busted.jpg

She looks so young and innocent....and yet sadly she has a life of crime ahead of her doh!

lol lol lol lol lol

Plan D.........You should have told her that if you didn't get it back that you wouldn't be able to afford to buy her a car when she's old enough to drive.

She's a cutie all right!

Chris

Very cute girl, it would be hard to say no to that. By the way your a lot more patient then me, I would have freaked.

Believe me I wouldn't have been with the first one as she got into my baseball cards and comic books....and there a lot less durable than a slabbed coin......but I am older and wiser now so I have the patience....plus she is just so cute I can't resist :cloud9:

She's a cutie Shane. What ya need to do is get a common Morgan, put a little AT to it, and then set it on your desk where she can easily see it, see if she picks it out, and then let her have that one. Just a thought.

Beautiful daughter.

(My wife and I had two sons, we were estatic when we finally got a daugher - our daughter-in-law!)

Your solution is simple.

You slowly start buying some inexpensive, "common" Morgans in ANACS slabs. (Raw ones won't "look like" Daddy's slabbed coins.)

You starting giving them to your daughter for presents (Xmas, BD, what-ever) so she can start her own collection.

This way every once in a while you two can sit down and admire HER coins. ...and let her know that her coins are as "special" as yours.

Regards,

Ed R.

Hey Shane, just be thankful it was only one coin. When my youngest daughter was a toddler when she came into my office invariably the first thing she would get from my desk was my checkbook... doh!

Very cute daughter you got there! :applause:

Shane, she is obviously (already) way too smart for you. You might as well get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible and fork over your entire collection to her now. lol

Shane, your missing a fortunistic idea here, place that lovely picture on ebay with a different coin each time and say, "please hurry and buy this coin before my dad finds out that I got another one!" Sales would roll in as no one would even look at the coin, just the cute little girl.

All joking aside-beautiful young girl. You are a lucky man.

She was right I was so.....so on to plan "C".....I told her she could have the coin but that daddy would hold onto it for her and she could see it when ever she wanted too. She pondered this option for a while and then finally gave in to my stern demands....."Please Emmy...give daddy his coin honey".

Really cute mug in that mugshot. Sounds like Plan C is an interesting way to get her interested in your hobby. A little father/daughter bonding. Maybe you could start a little collection for her of interesting but not expensive coins (unless you've already done so). Since they would be hers she may show more interest in the coins themselves? Just a thought.

You guys are too much....using my kid to hock my goods on Ebay.... lol lol lol

It's funny because it would work lol

Thanks for all the kind words....my kids are my world and I have always tried to get them interested in coins and while they may never get hooked....you can't blame a guy for trying :foryou:

Tom....I have known for a while that she was smarter than me.....I am always amazed at the things she is able to say and comprehand....she is way ahead of her older sister at the same age, but I think that's pretty common as they learn a lot from older siblings. I am certainly going to let her start a little collection and if I can swing it I might even bring with me to the FUN show for a few hours... hm

She has little hands that could get into tiny openings in dealer cases hm

lol lol lol lol lol

I'm going to end up on Dateline NBC because of you degenerates..... lol

Yes, you'll be famous because of us. You should thank us.

Yep...cute AND smart... I have a seven year old that's equally precocious. I sat mine down about 1.5 years ago with a copy of the RedBook. She turned down the pages of the pictures of coins she thought were cool. After I explained to her how much money $20 Double Eagle Saints were (and 18th Century Eagles) She decided on Peace Dollars. As some others have suggested, I've given her some via the "Tooth Fairy" and "Santa Claus" (and a couple of very generous giveaways) and she has purchased a few on her own from allowance money. Good Luck...Leo