• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From NGC 64 to NGC 67*

33 posts in this topic

Case in point every time whether it be NGC or PCGS makes one of these major blunders I say the same exact thing hoping to c all attemtion to it. I do beleive that NGC makes these mistakes more often than PCGS and I have been very clear about, so when Doogy starts making personal attackes when defending NGC I see he is just gradping at straws. Why can't collectors work together and make the TPG's, all of them, take responsibilty for their actions and prevent these giant mistakes from occurring rather than attacking each other with personal insults which accomplish nothing. Doogy if you believe I am an hole that is your perogative but wouldn't it be nice to hold NGC and PCGS to task and improve our hobby, because that is what I would like to see, I just direct my anger to the TPG's, this time to NGC, in order to effectuate change, someday they will listen, especailly when all collectors band together.

First off, you have to realize that many here contribute on both the NGC and PCGS forums. We read what you write over there, as well as here. The fact that you want to bash NGC and say this of their highly skilled graders:

"I agree with the op of his assessment of what goes on in the grading room. I will even go one step further,the new guy that is learning started in the mail room and after working with the graders for 3 months is allowed to grade on his own after 3 months, and if I am wrong about this occurring I am sure has heck right about it occurring at NGC"

here is the thread i'm referring to:

click here to view the original thread

Only after you were taken to task by many whom you probably believe to be your numismatic peers, did you edit it with a still harsh and passive aggressive sentence.

Your banter in that thread reeked of a newbie spouting off half-baked ideas of some utopian way of grading coins, and how NGC is to blame for any and all perceived grading ills that you can see. Since you're obviously not aware of who is in charge of NGC, their finalizers, and their amazing amount of numismatic skill/experience (not to mention David Lange, whom many consider to be one of the better (best?) numismatic authors out there.

click here for NGC's esteemed group of experts

I'll close with something we both agree on, as pointed out by your earlier post. I do think we can agree that we must hold people (TPGs and others) accountable in our hobby. However, I also think that education is key, and when someone gets upset about over/under grading, how it's done, and who is involved, you may want to stop and think that maybe, just maybe, the experts at NGC and PCGS just may have more experience grading rare coins than you and I. Will some "slip through" the major TPGs that maybe shouldn't have? I think the last twenty years has shown us that the answer is "yes"; but I think more often than not, when a coin doesn't quite meet up to a grade that you think it "deserves" (whether seemingly under or overgraded), you may want to ask the question: "what did the experts see that I didn't?"

Doogy, let me repeat, I was adding some humor to my post although I will always admit truth comes out in jest. I will stand by my over the top threads because I aim to cause atttention to it, just as you are doing right now, so i thank you. I will state unequivocally that NGC has gotten extremely loose and PCGS is getting looser and I will stand by these comments of the state of grading industry at these two top (PCGS being 1 and NGC being 2) grading companies. I don't know why you are get so pissed at my outrageous rants, truthfully you should deflect your anger at the grading companies that you give your business to. When I pay money to get my coins graded by PCGS and NGC I expect the grading company not to make a mistake in grading, I do understand that one has to give them some latitude but we can't give them carte blanche with their grading. BTW you brought up David Lange, I have spoken to him on many occasions, and you know what I like him, but he is not doing the grading as far as I am aware of, otherwise he wouldn't be answering the phone and helping me as often as he has. So don't get me wrong, NGC was the first grading company I joined but I am very disappointed with them now, and PCGS I joined later and I believe they are far more consistent but of course that is only my opinion. I would like to see NGC return to what I believe was they're good old days, the fatty holders, when they were much more conservative and I feel the same about PCGS. If we don't keep this conversation going in the lime light then the TPG's will just get looser and looser and we all lose. So I don't know what you are trying to say about me, heck its all out there for all to see and that is the way I want it, remember I wrote it.

Lastly to grade a Bust H10c a 67 and a *67 for that matter is very disturbing to me because that happens to be what I collect, when other coins that were blunders were discussed I chimed in on all of those too whether they be NGC or PCGS for that matter. I respect Mark Feld, I think there is no other dealer and collector who is more honest or wise, he may not agree with how I go about ranting and raving but he knows where I stand and that I call them as I see them, because it needs to be said. I am sorry you are getting pissed off with me I really wish you would get pissed off at NGC and PCGS, and on this particular coin NGC, because in my mind they have some explaining and correcting to do.