• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's going to attend the Houston Money Show? Nov.30-Dec.2.

6 posts in this topic

I will be there on Saturday. Looking forward to it alot.

Edited to add: I was looking at the educational talks, and noticed that a few of them were by people from the Texas money museum. What is that and where is it?

I will be there, mainly to buy. I am not planning to set up due to time and expense and significant loss of consulting revenue on Thursday and Friday (Financial Consulting Business). I have set up at many of these in the past - some have been good shows, some bad. Saturday would be about the only day I would be interested in setting up as this should be a good retail / walkup seller traffic day. There still is a lot of competetion from the big out of town dealers at this one and this combined with the hefty table fee doesn't exactly float my boat. Lately, I have preferred the smaller, one or two day shows with relatively low table fees and not that much competetion. I have good relationships with many of the shop owners in the area who offer me good wholesale deals all the time. Many of these guys I have met on the bourse at shows and known them for years.

Houston is not that strong of a retail market either. Due to my ebay store and a strong retail client base, I have cut back on these long shows which have high table fees, take a lot of my free time, and have been hit or miss from an operating result point of view. My Financial Consulting Business has been really strong the last few years and I have been busy with travel to places like LA, DC, and Montana.

I would strongly recommend this show to anyone interested in attending. There will be a lot of nice stuff to buy and if your selling many dealers with some really deep pocket. All it takes is lots of green - its just a hobby and its only money!

This show was the first show I set up at (Jan 1990) which was essentially was about the beginning of one of the longest bear markets in rare coins but I prospered throughout this period by retailing diversified items and expanding inventory rapidly both from rare coin income and income from my Accounting / Financial earnings both in the chemical industry and teaching college accounting classes. With bullion rising into the stratosphere who knows what is ahead.

Legend (and their CAC coins) will be there. I will be at the show (to buy) but not set up since I will be out of town some of the time (Financial Consulting Business). I have set up at this show in the past and from a retail sales view it is hit or miss. Coupled with the high table fee, competetion from the big national dealers, and Houston low spenders all make this show tough. Houston collectors for the most part do not have major money to spend on coins (and I have a feeling a lot of them will be broke considering Pasadena is this week). However, buying at the Houston Show is great if you bring plenty of money.

The Pasadena show is this week and will suck a lot of money away if there is any attendance (usually poor due to TG).