• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of seated coins...

5 posts in this topic

There was no weight change in those years for those particular coins. Arrows were used to indicate weight changes up or down for coins from roughly 1853 thru 1874-obviously, not all coins suffered weight changes.

Many thanks, Jim. Makes perfect sense re. no weight changes. But I wonder WHY the other denominations did. I thought weights were in direct correlation to each other. Well...guess I'll whip out the Breen book and see what he has to say.

Very much appreciate your reply!

RI AL

1873 was the last year of production for seated half dimes and dollars. There was no need to reduce the weight. Instead, they just quit making them.

1873 was the last year of production for seated half dimes and dollars. There was no need to reduce the weight. Instead, they just quit making them.

Thanks for that info. There are so many seated coins in the registry, I often forget that the half dime is excluded from this type. :blush: