• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing Solder from 1849 N.G.&N. Half Eagle?

2 posts in this topic

Ordinarily, I wouldn't consider the time and expense to conserve a coin that has been mounted in jewelry, yet, I think this one is worthy of consideration. It is an 1849 N.G.&N. San Francisco Half Eagle, plain edge, with a period after "alloy". (My reference is Breen-7791). It was found on a sidewalk in the French Quarter (New Orleans) over 20 years ago. As can be seen from the images there is a spot of solder over the "1849" on the reverse and from the obverse you can see some more solder at the rim. My best guess is it could have been a cuff link from the location of the reverse solder... bet that guy was bummed out losing this one.

Can solder be removed by NCS?

Also, how will the estimated value be established for the 3% fee for the conservation?

Any idea on the best way to proceed?

Thanks for the help,

dave

1849ngnhalfeaglebf1.th.jpg

1849ngnhalfeagleobversejv4.th.jpg

To answer your question, no NCS would not be able to remove solder. Typically solder will alter the metal underneath. Safely removing solder would not be possible through professional conservation.

I would recommend having this piece authenticated given the piece's rarity. NCS Details Grade or Genuine service will do this. Your coin will be authenticated and if genuine will be encapsulated similarly to an NGC coin. This is probably the best we would be able to offer with a coin such as this.

Chris, NCS