• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think these would grade?

11 posts in this topic

Below are two coins that I'm strongly considering sending in to NGC as part of my first submission and I wanted to see if everyone else thought they'd grade or get BB'd. I'm less concerned with the final grade but I paid about F12 money for the 1854 and I paid for the 1881 as a MS63. The dark on the obverse on the 1854 is black/blue but shiny.

Thanks for any input that can be provided, I know grading from pics isn't exactly ideal.

47277-1881SMorganDollarb.JPG.0674c14141ac59b716dc9e8399cc3a1f.JPG

47278-1854SeatedLibertyQuarterb.JPG.c78493ad01a792fd6b3c26f4b8850727.JPG

The images make it difficult to get a good look at the coins. However, the 81-S looks like an MS63 at best and I wouldn't spend the $ to get the two coins graded.

The images look like scans to me, which can be mighty hard to interpret. The 1881-S is the generic Morgan dollar in the entire Morgan series and at the grade level that you purchased the coin it would not, in my opinion, be worth certifying. The 1854 reminds me of a coin that had some surface dirt removed, but again this is simply my interpretation of the images, but if correct it might bag as cleaned or altered surfaces.

I wouldn't pay the money to have either certified......you can pick up graded 1881-S Morgans for like $35 in MS63....to common a coin to even worry about certifying. I like the Seated quarter just like it is....doesn't need plastic around it (thumbs u

I'd send in the '54 arrows quarter since it is a required type coin for the registry. If it grades (I think it will) then it will be a good coin and easily liquid if you should ever want to sell it.

Don't waste your submission on the Morgan unless you absolutely have nothing better to submit. (I say this assuming that you must use all submission coupons at once.)

If the coin isn't worth at least $100 or more it isn't worth the costs to have it TPG,ed,(imo)

That's being optimistic. I think a floor of $350-$400 would be more in line, considering that a floor much lower than this make it very difficult to recoup the grading investment.

I have to go with not sending in the Morgan. I was the winning bid on E Bay a few weeks ago for an already slabbed NGC 1881 S MS65 for $97.50. Numismedia here has it in the MS65 State for $147.50 and I believe Coin World is a litle higher.I would be surprised if it was $35.00 in the MS63 state.

If you did not have the voucher and you sent in a minimum of five Morgans for frading then just the grading fee would be $16.00 per coin. Why send in a coin and pay $16.00 not counting postage that is worth $35.00?

I need a 1893 and a 1895 Morgan. There is no way I could get it in MS63 let alone MS65 at this time..

If I was able to get a fairly decent 1893 or 1895 in raw state I would send it in for grading.

My Threshhold would not be as high as $350.00 or as low as $100.00. I would set my floor at $175-200.00 unless I could get it ckeaper on E Bay and I am always looking.

Well, eBay supports what you guys are saying about the 1881, which makes that thing a waste of money... ah well, it was an early purchase. I know I got suckered on at least a few things.

I agree that both coins look certifiable, but not certification-worthy.

Hasn't the same thing been said about you, James? :insane:

<3