• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unlisted Yugolsava gold coins?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, and thank you so much for any help you might be able to share with me. In brief, my wife and I lived in Belgrade, Yugoslavia from 1979-1981, and I purchased these 2 coins.

I can find no denomination on the coins nor date, but they commemorate different communist state occasions. One is the 11th Communist Congress and I can't translate the other. My notes indicate that they are each 4 grams of 900 fine gold. Tito is on the obverse of both. (My wife and I witnessed the funeral of Tito and met President Carter when he attended. Exciting times.)

Can you help me with these pieces, please?

Thanks so much. RI AL

RI AL,

I have tried finding any information on these but have not been successful. Not in World Coin Books nor Heritage Auction Galleries or Ebay. They are both commemoratives as you point out so they would not have a denomination I do not believe. The three main denominations of Yugolsavian coins are Para, Dinara and Dukata. The one on the right obviously commemorates 50 years of something. Sorry could not be more help.

Rey

HI, Ray. It's a start. Thanks. I have a small collection of dinars and Paras, bills and coins from my 2 years in Yugoslavia.Serbian coins/bills were easy to come by in the open market place on weekends. Montenegro, Croatia were more of a challenge. Also picked up some Albanian stuff at the marketplace. Albania always fascinated me since I asked the Embassy in Belgrade for a visa into Albania. I was told that they "could get me IN to Albania, but not sure they could get me out". So my wife and I drove to the border and waved.

RI AL