• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Santa Clara show report. (Friday ADDENDUM added).

11 posts in this topic

It was good to see Becoka, Sanction II, WTCG, and Dizzyfox at the show, along with some fellow members of the Peninsula Coin Club. The pickings were few and far between (I bought nothing on the bourse today). Ben bought a real beauty of a 1911 Indian eagle and it looks the way 100 year old gold should look... very appealing. Dizzy got a sweet toner Alabama commem. Kevin's typeset is mighty nice to look through and has some very appealing half cents and a very sweet Peace dollar. I didn't see it, but I understand he found a raw 1958 cameo Roosie.

Wei and I were sitting next to each other this evening at the Superior auction where the pickings were also mighty slim. He picked up a couple of coins and I picked up 3 inexpensive toners (1958 Washie in MS65, and '64 and '64-D Kennedys in MS65). I was mainly interested in checking out the cameo Franklin material at the auction (it turned out to be generally mediocre). Somebody proved the power of plastic by buying a PCGS 1950 Franklin in PR64DCAM for $7,500 plus 15%. IMO that was an insane price to pay for that coin. I mean it was a nice enough looking coin, but I've certainly seen better cameos on 1950's (both NGC and PCGS) that were only graded Cameo, not DCAM, were a higher grade, and that went for a LOT less money.

Thanks, Sy, for the quicktour. Why do you think the pickings were slim? Not enough tables/dealers, or just a small show overall? Or were just the coins you were looking for not available? Thanks again.

I was there for part of the day Thursday. A few of the national dealers with whom I do business and are usually there, were absent. And, at least for the type of material I typically handle, there was even less than usual available. Things appeared to be very quiet, which was somewhat surprising with glad hovering at $800/ounce.

Things appeared to be very quiet, which was somewhat surprising with glad hovering at $800/ounce.

Man, I gotta get to the store before they realize and raise the prices!

:devil:

47137-prodshot_drawstring.jpg.0a44cbde418db846f72eb04fc9d81d5c.jpg

Things appeared to be very quiet, which was somewhat surprising with glad hovering at $800/ounce.

It's too late - I have the entire world supply of Glad, already. And I'm in it at far below $800 an ounce.

I will leave the typo as is for the sake of the ribbing I have coming to me. :applause:

It's too late - I have the entire world supply of Glad, already. And I'm in it at far below $800 an ounce.

I will leave the typo as is for the sake of the ribbing I have coming to me. :applause:

They say typos occur because of a deep underlying thought. What were you thinking of doing will all that glad?

They say typos occur because of a deep underlying thought. What were you thinking of doing will all that glad?

Why flipping it for $800+ per ounce, of course. :banana:

The price of glad is $800 an ounce, and here I thought they said that money couldn't buy you happiness...

Today was a much better day for me looking around, and also got in some socializing with various board members from ATS and my local coin club.

After wandering around yesterday not finding doodilly in the way of nice Frankies, today I switched over to looking at type coins for my typeset. In particular I looked for coins dated 1858 (100 years before my birthyear) and found 2 in the right price range. Both coins were in NGC holders, and IMO accurately graded. The first coin was a MS64 dime and the second was a MS66 half dime with an absolute killer obverse/reverse set of clashes. Unfortunately, both coins were STONE white, which as we all know ain't what the coins SHOULD look like, so I passed on both of them (with a definite twinge of regret for the clashed half dime). C'est la vie.

Then, as often happens, when you give up on looking for something, low and behold, it falls in your lap. I found a toner NGC MS67 1952-S Franklin that just BLEW ME AWAY. It was a date/mm that I needed for my set, so that was nice, but I had only been planning on buying a MS66 or maybe a MS65FBL (which is more expensive than a MS66). Is the NGC coin technically a 67? Well, in hand you don't see any nicks etc., but put it under a loupe and you see a variety of little ticks on the obverse (the reverse is clean), so in my opinion it's a "kinda', sorta', maybe" technical 67. However, it is a HOLY SH_T! kind of a coin, particularly for the date/mm. The reverse is pleasant enough, but nothing spectacular... some dark red/russet with olive green and a honking big fingerprint. The toning in total covers maybe 50% of the reverse. The obverse on the other hand is WOW! 100% target toned with greens, reds, golds, with a pink/fuchsia center. I sent it in to NGC (along with several other coins) to be re-slabbed as the slab is kind of dinged up. Now that I think of it, I should have sent it in for a designation review as IMO it should have a star. C'est la vie. Anyhow, that pretty much blew my wad for the show and definitely made it a succesful show, both socially and coin shopping wise.