• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a Coin/Metal Detector forum?

7 posts in this topic

It was still cold out, the ground still frozen when I purchased my first metal detector this year. I started reading the Metal Detector forum across the street and enjoyed hearing about all the cool finds. I tested it in my backyard and the next thing ya know... I got clobbered over the head on the P*GS board, my access taken away...

I finally took it down to the Jones Beach a few weeks ago, found ton's of bottle caps, flooring nails (From an old boardwalk?) a State Quarter and a 1974 Dime. A few days later I brought it by my parent house in hopes I could find the tin I burried 20something years ago... it was full of coins... I know I probably burried it atleast 3 feet in the ground but could not find it anywhere.

Is anyone interested in adding a board here for metal detecting?

Thanks,

Dave

That's a great idea! It's kind of like the forum I would like to see but as a Gallery Coin Forum. A place where collectors could post at least 10 of their best coins from their collections. I can really see something like this coming to age. Here, I would think a fee would be appropriate, to help pay for your space. And it would be possible for NGC to lend their expertice in photography.

Another great idea from Leothelion! acclaim.gif

Leo

Great idea!

I "borrowed" some of my brother's coins when I was about five years old and buried them by an old tree, I think.

I'd like to get a metal detector and try to find 'em. I think there were IHC's and the like in the juvenile "hoard".

If we are going to get this thing going, all you metal detectorists smile.gif and people who have always wanted to see what it's all about have to give a shout out in this forum

-Dave

Let me see if I can kick things off.

My wife was sitting on the couch this morning telling me she was bored out of her skull, I say "Let's go to the beach..." which really meant "Let's go to the beach so I can swing around my metal detector for two hours"

We get to the beach and let my 19 month go wild. I turn on the detector, put it in discrimination mode and after walking 5 feet, BINGO! I take my "can" and sift through... I found a penny!... 1996 that is... We head towards the water, my son actually wanted to play in it so we had some fun in the water. We walk about a mile down and I'm not picking up a signal for anything. I adjust the settings to "All Metal Mode" and have the knobs about half way for sensitivity and descriminate. I was finding a good deal of pull tabs and bottle caps, definately getting frustrated when I finally found another coin, a 2001 dime! smile.gif

So much hard work for 11 cents! My question to people who enjoy this hobby, when you find modern change, do you keep it in your "collection" or do you spend it?

How long did it take you to really learn how to adjust the settings on the metal detector?

Is the beach all it's cracked up to be? What are some of the best places you have been to?

Thanks,

Dave