• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FB or FSB Mercury Dimes

4 posts in this topic

I am new to this board. I have a question concerning Mercury dimes. I was wondering why there is such a price difference between PCGS ans NGC grade full split band mercury dimes. Also are there grading discrepencies between the two grading services? From reading on here,I have learned that FBL Franklin Halves have a grading discrepency being PCGS uses 3 full lines whereas NGC uses 6 full lines. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have also noticed a lot of other price differences on other series such as Kennedy Halves 69DCAM and 69UCAM. Any insight into this?

Thanks,

Robert Dunn

Howdy and welcome to the boards.

There is no practical distinction made by most folks in the hobby/industry for the use of FB or FSB in relation to Mercs. I can tell you that I have had coins in NGC holders that were not labeled as FB but were subsequently labeled FB when crossed into PCGS holders. That makes me think that PCGS is a little looser with this designation. As for the perception of grading strictness or consistency, well, that's a mightly large topic.

I concur with TomB as far as the FB designation goes. PCGS seems to be a bit softer, or should I say NGC seems a bit tougher with the center band being not only split, but with a bit more distinction if you will. The price variations that you mention, I suppose have to do with the perception, whether real or not, that PCGS is stricter in assigning grades therefore the perception is that coins graded at the same level by both companies will result in the PCGS coin being "more solid" for the grade. Again this is a perception held by some. Both and all companies for that matter put the wrong grades on coins from time to time. Also, their criteria (strike, luster, contact, eye-appeal) is not usually equal which can lead to different grades on the same coin by the different companies.