• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Price history of a trime

5 posts in this topic

I was watching this 1851-O three cent silver that closed on ebay today.

1851-O PCGS MS63

I was the underbidder on this coin in July of last year on Heritage when it was in an ANACS MS63 holder where the coin sold for $402.50. I really should have bid more at the time. The coin reappeared on Heritage two months later in a PCGS MS63 holder where it sold for $690. Now, a year later it sold on ebay for $580 and I stayed out of the bidding this time.

It looks like a nice strike for the issue with decent color and appeal. I think it went a little too cheap the first time and too strong the second time. Considering the strike it may have reached a fair price on ebay, but I couldn't bring myself to bid knowing that I had passed at $400.

I will console myself by believing that something must be wrong with the coin to have this much turnover. lol

Randy, the PCGS priceguide listing for this coin is $650. Still, I'm not thrilled over this coin.

I just bought this MS65 trime from Mark Feld for $800.

The PCGS priceguide on this is $1150. So, I ask you, which is the best value?

47061-1852trime.jpg.d21162a347ce7e647dcc27e18d890aa6.jpg

Mike, you did indeed find the buyer. He was quick to point out that it sold on Heritage at $100 higher a year ago but didn't mention the price it sold for two months before that. I don't have the heart to point it out over there. Was it the power of plastic or the power of kool-aid?

Victor, you got a good price on that 1852. The strike is a bit soft as usual but Mark would have charged you more if it was sharp. The luster looks great, but I prefer some tone on a coin of that age. The '51-O has an above average strike for the mint but I'm not sure I like the color of that one either. That may be what kept my bid low a year ago. If I wouldn't pay $400 for it last year I didn't think it was worth $600 this year. The new owner seems happy with it so maybe it will stay off the market for a while this time.

Was it the power of plastic or the power of kool-aid?

Couldn't it also have been that the people who bid on in valued it according to how they felt about the coin regardless of the holder?

Interestingly enough, I don't see anywhere that you actually saw the coin in-hand, or had it viewed for you, so just how knowledgable about the true quality/value of this coin are you, and perhaps the quality (or lack thereof) of the photos had some effect on the prices realized?

In short, why the conspiracy? hm

Personally, I don't see anything odd about a coin selling for wildly different values in different venues -- it happens every day -- and I suspect it is more a function of getting the coin in front of the "right" two bidders rather than any effect the plastic had on the price.

Respectfully submitted...Mike