• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which country of gold coins are the most popular/valueable?

9 posts in this topic

I've noticed that US gold coins are VERY expensive compared to other countries gold coins. British and french gold coins do not seem to be as popular and thus do not demand as much money. My question is, are US coins very popular to collect worldwide(Do alot of people in other countries collect gold coins?), which increases their price, or is it an exclusive US thing?

Another country that seems to have very expensive gold coins and very popular gold coins is japan. Which ironically is a language I've been learning (japanese) and saving my money to visit japan. Their coinage seems very popular and very expensive.

So, which countries of gold coins are the least popular, (most least expensive), and most popular?

I'd really like to know which country has the cheapest gold coins, perhaps I could start collecting from that country. US gold coins are so very expensive.

There's one Canadian gold coin that's very expensive ;)

In general, the people that collect a country's coins tend to be from that country. While there are some people that collect coins from other countries, they are the minority. American coins are expensive because there are currently many American collectors. The other thing is the economy and the ease of getting credit. Japan also has a high standard of living.

Stinky,

Third world countries don't make much money compared to developed countries so that $900 St. Gaudens is several months or even a year's earnings to obtain one for an average worker. I grew up in the Philippines and never even seen a gold coin while I was in the numismatic club in school (elementary). A nice Morgan or Peace was enough to win bragging rights.

I think the most popular gold is US, Canada, China, and one could maybe add South Africa. The least popular and probably cheapest from what I have seen is older foreign gold - roosters and such.

I'm not sure that valuable is the correct word here. Lots of 20th-century, foreign gold coins are traded for their bullion value, or near it, and some 19th-century foreign gold falls into this category too. British sovereigns have long been popular, partly because they aren't too expensive (yet), were issued from 7 (I think) mints around the world, and they can be collected by obverse design (monarch).

Stinky

I understand the concern with cost versus value. But I learned a much different lesson and way to view the value of a coin so to speak from my father. He collected mostly US, Canadian, Austrailian, British and a few Russian, Mexico etc.gold. When I asked why he collected those countries his reply was more so geared toward the appearance and beauty of the foreign coins. Even with the US however potential appreciation in value was a factor, even the US was because of the coin. From that I have learned to consider or buy coins that appeal to me at a reasonable cost I can afford.

Stinky

I understand the concern with cost versus value. But I learned a much different lesson and way to view the value of a coin so to speak from my father. He collected mostly US, Canadian, Austrailian, British and a few Russian, Mexico etc.gold. When I asked why he collected those countries his reply was more so geared towweard the appearance and beauty of the foreign coins. Even with the US however potential appreciation in value was a factor, even the US was because of the coin. From that I have learned to consider or buy coins that appeal to me at a reasonable cost I can afford.

Well put Rey I would like to add, though, thats really what collecting is about weather it be gold, silver or copper first and foremost you better like what you buy, because the future is uncertain, as it pertains to precious metals. Your likes, dreams, and ambitions are forever.

OK, they change too but you get my drift.

Edited to tell a story; About two years ago I came across a Barbados gold coin, I bought it for $100 it was a 1973 100 dollar gold coin with a mintage around 460. Then I decided to become a dealer, and sold the coin for a profit of $50. I kick myself in the everytime I think about it, to me that was one kick coin and would pay double to get it back, but hey just try and find one, Impossible.