• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupid money or good buy?

15 posts in this topic

I'm slowly putting together a type set of early commems. I usually look for nicely toned ones but I don't want to shell out the bucks for monster toned coins so I rarely pay a premium for toning. Last night I spotted this BTW on ebay.

BTW Half

I had been looking for a nice MS-65 because they are cheap and the price jumps a great deal in 66. But I also wanted a very nicely toned one to make up for the not so attractive design (in my opinion). I struggled a lot before putting my bid in on this one since it is a decent premium to an average 66. It wasn't outrageous but more than I usually give for toning.

So my question still is, was this stupid money or did I get a deal? What do you think about the look of this coin?

Unfortunately, I think you overpaid. I don't find the toning very attractive. The BTW is an issue you should NEVER pay a premium for. They are COMMON. Original rolls are still available. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the toning craze. When it comes time to sell all you are going to hear from your friendly neighborhood dealer is "twenty back of bid".

You paid full retail. I like the toning except for the black spot that is on BTW's forehead. That might be enough to kill it for the "monster" toning people.

As a dealer I have a hard time selling BTW half dollars as type coins for 50 piece sets. Most collectors don't seem to like those coins, along with the Washington-Carver pieces. Sadly I have heard racial comments from people, which is really disgusting in this day and age. mad.gif They will only pay $20 or $30 for nice looking white (untoned) ones to "fill the hole."

I built a 50 set of early commems with mostly white coins. I was not willing to pay the premiums for the monster toned stuff. You can check out my set in the NGC Registry. It's nothing fancy. Just group of nice collector grade coins. thumbsup2.gif It pleases me, and I could sell it easily for about what I have in it or a little more.

I like the toning and if you overpaid, at least you aren't going to lose a fortune. If the luster is nice and you like the coin I wouldn't worry about it. However, please take into consideration that I rarely make money on a coin. Mark

RGT - Personally, I like the coin quite a bit, spot on Booker T's forehead and all. It may not be a coin you can flip for what you bought it for, but if you are satisfied with it, who cares. smirk.gif I have seen many BTWs in auction and have never pulled the trigger because I have never liked them blast white nor have I liked the toning I've seen. The one you just purchased, however, is one I'd have seriously considered. Nice job! smile.gif

Hoot

Thanks for all the opinions, good and bad. I've looked at quite a few BTWs and I've seen very few I liked. I just returned one this week in an old PCGS MS65 "rattler" holder that I thought was low end and had unattractive toning to boot. I had a whopping $30 in that one but I just didn't like it.

Most BTWs seem to have speckled toning that I find unattractive. This one has mostly smooth even toning and I like the color. That spot on the head didn't bother me like it would have if the coin had been mostly white. I'm still a bit uneasy with the purchase, but it's not like I spent $30K on a memorial cent or something. 893whatthe.gif

I've seen a few others of this same date and grade go for $200 to over $300 on ebay and Heritage auctions and those weren't as nice looking to me as this one. I may have overpaid, but not as much as some others (again, in my opinion). smile.gif

I'm still a bit uneasy with the purchase, but it's not like I spent $30K on a memorial cent or something.

Yep, you have made the point that I try to make with people accross street. If you pay a couple hundred and you paid too much, count it as a learning experience. If you pay $30K and in the opinion of many dealers and collectors, you are at least $29.5K in hole, you have got a BIG problem unless you don't care about money. insane.gif

The dealers who are selling this stuff, love to put words in my mouth accross the street. You can't debate them because if you agree to play baseball before the debate they'll show up with a football instead. devil.gif

I personally like it..... I feel the brilliant ones are a dime a dozen..... I'll betcha the colors will look even better in person...... $175... yeah, alittle high but, for nice pieces it is worth it to pay strong money...... Good luck with this purchase and I hope when you see it in person it will really knock your sox off!

I like the look very much and agree with braddick that it likely has some green and/or red on the obverse. The only thing that worries me, however, is that the reverse looks like there was a considerable amount of light put on it to bring out the auburn color, which would make me think that it is darker and less colorful.

Hi. This coin caught my eye on ebay because of the toning. I really like the look to it. Very nice coin and I don`t think you overpayed for it. When you get the coin tell us if the spot on the forehead detracts from the appeal of the coin. Thanks.

I think you overpayed some as well, however, when a coin catches my eye like this one did with yours, thats all that counts. At resale, whenever it may be, you won't lose too much I'm sure. Who knows, with this crazy toning desire developing in the marketplace you could make some money if you desired to sell it and look for something else. Hope you enjoy it. thumbsup2.gif

I'll let you know when I get it how it compares to the pictures. The guy who sold it to me claims to have lost a bit on the sale. If I like it I'll be hanging on to it for quite a while so chances are I won't loose anything on it. The seller actually told me he would buy it back at my cost any time.

Thanks again for all the opinions. I'm feeling better about the purchase even if I did pay strong money. At least it appeals to the majority. Of course I already ran it past my wife who is my "eye appeal coordinator". As long as we both like it that's all that matters. thumbsup2.gif

The coin came yesterday and it actualy looks very much like the images, but with more luster and kind of a "glow".

I like the look very much and agree with braddick that it likely has some green and/or red on the obverse. The only thing that worries me, however, is that the reverse looks like there was a considerable amount of light put on it to bring out the auburn color, which would make me think that it is darker and less colorful.

The color on the obverse does have a bit of a yellow-green tint to it. Near the rims it actually has a mixture of purple and blue-green that even extends somewhat into his hair. The spot on the forehead is really this same mixture of purple and blue-green. It is just a bit distracting but not too bad.

The reverse is very much like the photo too and if anything is a bit lighter than the image. It doesn't have quite the vibrant color of the obverse and only hints of the purple around the rims.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the coin and will probably be holding on to it for a long time. I suspect I'll need to sell about the time that blast white coins are all the rage. crazy.gif