• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice find...........Draped Bust Dime.

6 posts in this topic

I guy I know found this dime with a metal detector a couple of days ago. I assume it's real. Looks like it's an overdate. I don't know much about draped bust coinage, so I thought I would post it here for some thoughts and comments.

JJ

1798o.jpg

1798r.jpg

Unless you are 100% sure that it is a medal detector find, I'd be careful.

Years ago I had a 1798 dime that turned out to be counterfeit. ANACS caught it. It was darn good one because it got through me, another experienced dealer and a major auction house. Giving the auction house credit, they made good on the piece although the sale had been held some months before.

That counterfeit looked like it graded Fine to VF. The look with a 5X glass was really great. It was only after I looked it with a 10X that I saw the waviness in the fields that indicated it’s counterfeit status.

With the 8/7 overdate it is probably real. But in that condition it probably is worth less than $1000, although it is one heck of a find.