• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Dansco Halves

14 posts in this topic

I thought I might share my circulated half-dollar Dansco albums this evening. The Barbers are generally Good, the Walking Liberty's are all over the place from VG to EF but have a similar look, and the Franklins are generally EF to AU with a few lower grade ones thrown in because I could not find the right coin. I have started an MS FBL Franklin set but am still missing 16 coins. Collecting similar grade (and look) circulated coinage is quite challenging, takes a long time, and is actually quite statisfying. I am finding the MS Franklins are more a function of dollars than effort.

Image quality is not very good as I just was not in the mood to work at it. Anyway I hope you like my favorite US denomination.

BarbersPage1.jpg

BarbersPage2.jpg

BarbersPage3.jpg

BarbersPage4.jpg

WalkersPage1.jpg

WalkersPage2.jpg

WalkersPage3.jpg

WalkersPage4.jpg

FranklinPage1.jpg

FranklinPage2.jpg

Half dollars are likely my favorite denomination, too. Supertooth could give you a good rundown of the WLHs with his extensive experience in that series. My own experience in Barber half dollars lets me appreciate just how tough a series this is that you are trying to complete. The 1908 is perhaps the most under appreciated P-mint coin in the series in F or better while the 1894 is not too far behind.

A very nice "hoard." I especially like the Barber set, which I normally don't like. I dunno, something about a great set of nicely matched circulated old barbers together makes them seem nicer and prettier when I just see one or two. Alone, I think they are rather ugly.

I started a set of circulated Walkers a while back but I gave up on it because I didn't like the overall "look" of the set. Don't get me wrong, I think the WLH is one of the most aesthetically pleasing designs on a coin, but I just don't like the way they wear. For some reason though...I like the look of your Barber set!!

L

Barber coins were workhorses, and not many collectors realize how hard it is to assemble a set of the halves (to say nothing of the quarters or dimes). This takes a lot of patience--I know because I sold my complete set of Barber halves earlier this year to raise cash for other coin purchases. I assembled it 25-30 years ago in EF (no micro-O), and from now on I am going to stick to shorter series.

You are off to a good start, and your (uncleaned) Barbers will hold their value.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. One of most difficult things to deal with, in my opinion, is the urge to insert any coin in the hole. I have a number of EF+ Barbers that would fill some of the vacant holes and it is a constant battle not to plug that vacancy. For the YN out there, stick to your collecting goals and fight the urge to just buy any coin to complete a collection.

Of course, the alternative is to start a parallel series set in a different grade, as there is nothing like creating additional chaos and new levels of angst and frustration in your life.