• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC - I don't get it!

12 posts in this topic

If I die and my wife wants to sell my non-CAC stickered XF45 PCGS graded 1909S VDB Lincoln Cent will it be worth more, the same or less as an identical PCGS graded coin with a CAC sticker?

Isn't authenticity already guaranteed by PCGS?

Just what does the CAC sticker "bestow" upon an already graded coin?

Is this "attribute" worth the time and expense of sending it to CAC?

(shrug)

If I die and my wife wants to sell my non-CAC stickered XF45 PCGS graded 1909S VDB Lincoln Cent will it be worth more, the same or less as an identical PCGS graded coin with a CAC sticker?

Isn't authenticity already guaranteed by PCGS?

Just what does the CAC sticker "bestow" upon an already graded coin?

Is this "attribute" worth the time and expense of sending it to CAC?

(shrug)

Yes, the authenticity is already guaranteed. CAC "bestows" an additional expert opinion and one which in many cases will be backed up by sight-unseen bids. To some, those "attributes" are worth the time and expense involved and to others not.

Yes, the authenticity is already guaranteed. CAC "bestows" an additional expert opinion and one which in many cases will be backed up by sight-unseen bids. To some, those "attributes" are worth the time and expense involved and to others not

Sorry if it seems I'm dense Mark, but an additional expert opinion on what?

I have 2 slabbed Lincoln key dates in my collection. Everything else was purchased raw or pulled from circulation so TPG's aren't really something I'm familar with.

Yes, the authenticity is already guaranteed. CAC "bestows" an additional expert opinion and one which in many cases will be backed up by sight-unseen bids. To some, those "attributes" are worth the time and expense involved and to others not

Sorry if it seems I'm dense Mark, but an additional expert opinion on what?

I have 2 slabbed Lincoln key dates in my collection. Everything else was purchased raw or pulled from circulation so TPG's aren't really something I'm familar with.

An additional expert opinion on the grade of the coin. And please don't apologize. :)

For a somewhat longer answer to your question, here is part of what I posted in another thread today:

".....However, even the best TPG's are far from perfect. And even if they get it "right" 90% of the time, that still leaves many thousands of mistakes per month.

Many collectors AND dealers, no matter how advanced or knowledgeable, like to get another expert opinion on certain coins. One way in which that can be done is by showing a coin to another dealer or fellow collector. Another way is via cross-over service. And speaking of cross-over service, I don't often see people attacking PCGS or NGC for their cross-over services, the extra fees and second-guessing of another expert that goes along with it.

CAC will be providing another expert opinion. Clearly, not everyone wants or needs that. But for those who do, I believe that it will prove to be quite beneficial."

I believe what Mark and the CAC are aiming for is to provide a second layer of "grade protection", for lack of a better term, and by extension "seller protection" for a given NGC or PCGS graded coin. Obviously, the TPG guarantees authenticity and provides a grade opinion, however, there is a belief by many that the standards for various grades in various series have changed slightly over time. Therefore, for your 1909-S VDB PCGS EF45 cent, the CAC might look at the coin and determine that they, too, agree that the coin is accurately graded and they would affix a CAC sticker to the slab. If and when you or your spouse attempts to sell the coin, it would be much more difficult for a dealer or other buyer to claim that the coin is wildly overgraded. Additionally, if you could find no takers for your coin, I believe the CAC is attempting to form a secondary market for coins with CAC stickers such that their member dealers will purchase these coins at a higher sight-unseen level than coins in slabs that did not earn the CAC sticker.

Please note that I am not affiliated with the CAC so these details may be off, but this is what I understand the projects aims to be for the hobby-industry.

I have been thinking about this for a while now..

The only one I see getting upset about this is pcgs..

And I can now fully appreciate the fact that they are going to lose a ton of money on crossovers and more importantly the glass house that they have built for themselves is about to shatter...

The kool aid drinkers will have no ability to say that an NGC coin just doesn't stack up to a pcgs..

And the supposed added value of the plastic dissapears.

The playing field is level.

And the coin will be what you purchase.

What will happen if more coins in NGC holders get stickers than pcgs.. hm

I guess I should type faster since Mark already beat me to the answer. doh!
Tom, your answer was a good one and worded differently enough so as not to be redundant. I enjoyed reading it.

Your reply was posted only 4 minutes after mine, which means, based upon the (lack of) speed at which I type, you must have started typing LONG after I did :)