• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 - S Proof Lincoln Penny Extremely Thick Planchet

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i just recently purchased a 1971 proof set, and i have opened it because i am going to send it in for grading. After opening the set, i noticed that the penny was almost as thick as the Nickel.

Are proof pennies supposed to be this thick? or are they supposed to be as thick as regular business strike coins?

Any info would be helpful..

Jadunlap.

Are you sure it's not just a wire rim you're looking at from the side? I once got very excited over a high relief Saint that looked like an Ultra High Relief [they're twice as thick] but finally realized it was the thin wire rim that was fooling me into thinking it was thicker than it really was.

Yes, this does happen occasionally. I don't know how often, or any kind of value, but it does happen. Sometimes you will also get things rolled too thin. Usually it happens with the clad coins though, a quarter will be punched and struck on stock intended for the dime, the most famous example of which was in 1970.