• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CAC be permitted to showcase its distain and contempt for NGC...

63 posts in this topic

and PCGS coin grading at coins shows in which NGC and PCGS are also in attendence ?

Or will CAC be relegated to its website and to 3rd tier local coin shows that it organizes and which NGC and PCGS are not in attendence ?

CAC should not underestimate the clout and respect that NGC and PCGS commands in the coin collecting hobby. Without the coin grading expertise of NGC and PCGS the coin collecting hobby would not be as accepted and healthy as it is today. Thank you to both NGC & PCGS.

Is it over when the fat lady sings ?

I don't see where there much PCGS and NGC can do about CAC. Unless CAC makes some direct statements that are defamatory and libelous to the business image of those two companies, CAC is simply one more competitor in a capitalist system. Collectors and dealers can reject the concept of double certification, however, and I hope that will be the outcome.

Hey, CC - ever gone to auction lot viewing at a major auction? I thought not...

Collectors and dealers can reject the concept of double certification, however, and I hope that will be the outcome.

So the unnamed TPG with the AT Gobrecht in their holder bought that coin back off the market, right?

Was the AT Gobrecht a big screw up? BIIIIIIGGGG screw up, no doubt and I mean BBBBIIIIIIGGGGG. But then it was one of many thousands that were not screw ups. As long as people grade coins, their will be an occasional error, even a BBIIIIGGG error, it WILL happen, but is a FPG the answer? I doubt it. I am afraid like many others, it will merely drive the prices up for coins we collectors need and want and will no longer be able to buy. As to cleansing the market of trash, they are not REGRADING the known trash in the lower TPG's just the unknown that MAY BE in the top tiers. What percentage is this-very little IMHO. I have no problem with free enterprize and most certainly respect the abilities of the people involved in CAC that I know. I just do not agree with their goals and methods of obtaining those goals. Had they just garnered a piece of the market of TPG's they would have had my total respect and support. Maybe that is what they will do once they become settled in the market, I hope so and good luck along that avenue to all concerned. My main thought for goodwill is among the thousands of collectors who will probably not use this service but may become greatly affected by it. I wish us the best.

TDN you can pat yourself all you wish on your back, but NGC & PCGS will have the last laugh.

CAC will probably not be permitted at the major coin shows and at the ANA conventions. You will need all the luck you can muster, maybe we will see your stickered coins in the Legends Auctions ? !!!

Just curious, Carson City, but did you have the same argument when the TPGs came into existance? I mean, the gall of the TPGs insulting all those coin dealers was amazing, don't you think?

Just curious, Carson City, but did you have the same argument when the TPGs came into existance? I mean, the gall of the TPGs insulting all those coin dealers was amazing, don't you think?
Mike, best of luck in getting a serious, intelligent and on point answer. ;)

I thought then as I do now that TPG services were a good idea. I would also think CAC as a TPG service would be good competition for NGC & PCGS. I don't like the idea of CAC attempting to be a de facto grading service by demeaning the grading services of NGC & PCGS.

CAC,no doubt, will soon hear the fat lady singing !

I thought then, and I do now, that NGC & PCGS are the reason the coin collecting hobby is as healthy and accepted as it is. Again, thanks to NGC & PCGS !

If the TPGs had the right to provide an opinion on a coin, why do you deny that same right to CAC? After all, the TPGs opinion was intended to supplant the opinion of the dealer/owner, wasn't it?

The point being that you have no ground to suggest that the CAC doesn't have the right to do what it is doing -- if they are "guilty" of demeaning previously respected grading opinions, then the TPGs were "guilty" of the very same thing.

Do you get that? hm

Perhaps if you took a step back for a second and look at the CAC for what it is -- very similar to the TPGs when they were introduced -- you would admit that perhaps it could actually be as good of a thing for the coin market as the advent of the TPGs. Time will tell...Mike

If CAC wants to grade coins it's fine with me---start your own TPG service. That's what NGC & PCGS did. NGC didn't attempt to impose their opinion on PCGS coins to gain marketshare, nor did PCGS attempt to demean NGC coins.

CAC wants to play by different rules---have fun. The fat lady is tuning up !

Think about it this way. If the CAC becomes successful, they may drive MORE coins to NGC and PCGS if those are the only TPGs CAC deals with. So instead of hurting them, the CAC could drive business up.

I do think it's interesting that the number one item on the submissions procedures is:

Coin holders should be clean and free of stickers.

What if I want CAC and Eagle Eye stickers? Do I have to submit to CAC first?

The point being that you have no ground to suggest that the CAC doesn't have the right to do what it is doing -- if they are "guilty" of demeaning previously respected grading opinions, then the TPGs were "guilty" of the very same thing.

Do you get that? hm

I guess not:

If CAC wants to grade coins it's fine with me---start your own TPG service. That's what NGC & PCGS did. NGC didn't attempt to impose their opinion on PCGS coins to gain marketshare, nor did PCGS attempt to demean NGC coins.

Have you ever heard of crossover service? hm

And by the way, nobody is asking your permission, however it would be to everyone's benefit (including your own), that your arguments show some semblance of logic to them, because, frankly, your arguments are as sophisticated as a 4 year old complaining to their mommy because someone took their favorite ball away...Mike

Let me mention again that the founder of CAC by the name of Albanese is the original co-founder of PCGS and the sole founder of NGC although he has nothing more to do with either of them according to the latest issue of "Coin World".

The CAC is taking the easy route and only giving their opinion of the grade given and charging $20.00-$30.00. NGC and PCGS grade the coin, authenticate the coin, guarantee the coin grade, and slab the coin for about the same price. I would not pay stupid money for this 2nd opinion on any of my coins, unless I was Stevie Wonder.

I hear the Fat Lady, she is tuning up and ready to sing.

I just wonder if there is any jealousy or envy worship involved by Mr. Albanes ! ?

Hmmmmmm

What a stupid statement. You really are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

36_11_6.gifcadf4a10.jpg

"I thought then as I do now that TPG services were a good idea. I would also think CAC as a TPG service would be good competition for NGC & PCGS. I don't like the idea of CAC attempting to be a de facto grading service by demeaning the grading services of NGC & PCGS.

CAC,no doubt, will soon hear the fat lady singing ! "

Well CC, at least you are consistent---your posts never add intelligent commentary and typically descend to the ridiculous. This forum evidently needs a children's corner.