• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will grading of toned coins based upon "Market Acceptability" stop?

2 posts in this topic

Occasionally, we will come across an Eagle that has such unusual coloration that we feel that it is in the least "market unacceptable", and at the worst, outright artificial.

This is from a reply to a question from Jeremy as to the toning on Silver Eagles and whether they would be bagged or graded.

My question -- when will this stop? How can an AT coin deserve to be graded just because it is well doctored and looks good. This type of thinking is what allows coin doctors to continue on their work and improve on their technique. Isn't an AT coin an AT coin whether it looks "market acceptable" or not?

Is NGC doing anything to stem the tide of artificially toned coins from being graded and later coming to market? Is NGC exploring ways to bring science to into the grading and authentication process. I know for a fact some TPG services are using SEM (scanning electron microscopes) and surface analysis on Patterns, why not on toned coins.

Market Acceptable = Artificially Toned in my book.

Michael

Michael,

I think you may not fully understand how we view this confused.gif so let me try to clear it up.

If we are "certain" a coin has been artificially toned, it will NOT be graded. Now, obviously we do not witness the act of toning the coin, so in that sense we can't be 100% certain (if you want to look at that way), but NGC graders are excellent in detecting this and other problems. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If we are not certain but have reasonable doubt about the toning, it will NOT be graded. This includes a coin that COULD have original toning but the toning has the "look" of an artificially toned coin, or is so extremely unusual that the common perception will be that "it has to be AT", then even though it may in fact not be AT, since we aren't sure and it walks and talks like a duck, it will NOT be graded. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is where the "market un-acceptable" comes into play. ooo.gif

I went back and read Rick's answer to Jeremy and I concur with it thumbsup2.gif, though the wording of the last sentence, where he mentions "market acceptable", may have mislead you into thinking we might knowingly grade an artificially toned coin. This is simply NOT the case nor is it what Rick intended to convey.

As you can see, we do our very best to err to the safe side 893applaud-thumb.gifas opposed to taking chances 893naughty-thumb.gif grading coins that are highly suspect and I think that has been clear all along and especially to those that frequently submit.

As for the use of technology, if something comes along that merits consideration we would not rule it out, but for now we still believe there is no substitute for extensive, collective, professional experience.

hi.gif

John

PS- Hope you all don't mind that I went a bit insane.gif with the Instant Critters.