• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new Bar Kochba coin!

4 posts in this topic

I think this one barely circulated if at all before being lost (or put away?) for centuries.

I plan on bringing this for slabbing at ICG. This is the nicest detailed Bar Kochba (Hendin 736) I've ever personally seen. Most are worn or poorly struck. The centering is fantastic on this one. You can clearly see the vine leaf ribbing and all tree details. The only this that's a bummer is that most of the letters for "Jerusalem" didn't make it on this planchet. Oh well, I guess I can't have everything.

Bar_Kochba_-_Hendin_736_-_Obverse_1.jpgBar_Kochba_-_Hendin_736_-_Reverse_1.jpg

That is a very nice example you have there. There looks to be a bit of a patina that your scanner/camera didn't pick up. What color is it? Mind if I ask where you got it? hm

I don't know anything at all about ancients, but it looks cool.

Simon Bar Kochba led the second Jewish revolt against Rome in 132 AD. This was one of the few coins issued under Jewish authority during the revolt. Needless to say, it didn't end well for the Jews. I forget how many there are, but a complete die study was done on this issue of coin and I believe around 130 or so dies are known to exist. So, if Prethen ever gets really bored, he can track down the exact die it is from, which might just increase its value greatly if it is from a rare set. Its hard to tell from his scan, but those coins are really good sized for an ancient issue. A bit bigger than a US quarter usually and every one I have ever owned or handled had a thick planchet.