• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Mint Shipping

8 posts in this topic

I just placed an order for a D-bag of Sac's. When I got to the final check-out, I took a look at their shipping policies. I didn't realize that they provide "Expedited Shipping" for orders over $300. So, I'll get it in a couple of days, and it will save me $13.

Chris

They also let you choose the options of expidited shipping on subscriptions too!

True, but I got Expedited for just $4.95.

Chris

Can't beat that!!!

Yes you can. In the old days the mint did not charge for shipping. :headbang:

Yeah, but Pony Express took a little longer.

Chris

[q]Yes you can. In the old days the mint did not charge for shipping.[/q]

True, the cost of the shipping was built into the price of the product. So if you bought one you paid for the shipping in the price. If you bought two you paid for the shipping twice even though they shipped together for the same cost as shipping one. If you bought five you paid for the shipping five times even though they shipped them all for the same cost as shipping one.

The mint made out much better profit wise on shipping back when they didn't charge for shipping. Today you might order half a dozen different items in one order and they charge you $4.95 Then they ship them to you separately, often by Fed-Ex at a cost of what $8 to $11 or more per package? So you spend $5 for shipping which costs the mint $48 to $66. Only a government entity would do something that dumb.

As I recall, the prices DID NOT go down when the mint starting charging for shipping. So the way I look at it, the $4.95 is just an additional charge over and above the prices from the old days. (shrug)

In since the shipping was added at a time of low inflation, you can't make the argument that real prices from the coins were going down.