• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Lens?

6 posts in this topic

I was looking at the Mint's Product Schedule page and noticed that on October 25, there are product called "Collector's Box." One says "Collector's Box-Quarter Rolls." and the other says "Collector's Box-Dollar Coin Rolls." I suspect both are rolls of all issues of those coins in one box.

However, one says "Collector's Box-Three Lens." Unless I am missing the obvious, what could "Three Lens" be?? Anyone want to take a SWAG? :gossip:

Scott :hi:

I seem to recall that the term "lens" was once used in reference to compartments. But, that was before my time............Jurassic period.

Chris

"Lens" is the term that the mint uses for the plastic holders the proof sets are issued in. A 1998 set is in one holder, a "single lens". The 1999 - 2006 sets are in two parts, a holder for the quarters and one for the other coins, two "lens". And this years set has three "lens".

In the past they issued a Collectors box for the proof sets with the state quarters designed for ten years of two lens sets. With the introduction of the President dollars this year the box no longer has enough slots so they have introduced a new box that will hold the three lens sets.

Hmmm...I thought they were called "Len's" becuse they were made by Lenny Goodman in his plastic casting shop on Arch Street....?

"Lens" is the term that the mint uses for the plastic holders the proof sets are issued in. A 1998 set is in one holder, a "single lens". The 1999 - 2006 sets are in two parts, a holder for the quarters and one for the other coins, two "lens". And this years set has three "lens".

In the past they issued a Collectors box for the proof sets with the state quarters designed for ten years of two lens sets. With the introduction of the President dollars this year the box no longer has enough slots so they have introduced a new box that will hold the three lens sets.

He Conder... according to this page you are right!

Excellent!!

Now if we can find out why they are called "lenses," that would make this conversation complete.

Scott :hi: