• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought the Plastic (Buffalo Nickel Old Holder)....flame away......

11 posts in this topic

Since I got back into collecting in the last month I have been buying up Morgan Silver dollars in NGC No Line Fatty holders......and in the process getting a pretty nice spread of the different generations of holders, Dates, and Mint marks. I haven't been shopping for PQ coins per say and I don't subscribe to all of the hype related to "all coins in old holders are upgrades" etc......what I can tell you though is that of the last 15 or so Morgans I have purchased in the old NGC holders.....I feel like maybe 5 are upgrade locks, another 5 are bordeline upgrades or PQ for their current assigned grade, and then 5 are in the appropriate holders as far as I am concerned. hm

So on to the reason for my post....... I think we all saw the Black NGC holdered Morgan on Ebay recently....with a BIN of like $4500 or somewhere in that ball park. The seller for that coin also had several other old NGC holdered coins including a Buffalo Nickel and a Wisconsin Commem in Generation 2 holders. I frankly can't tell you if the coins will upgrade but I was very interested in getting one of those Gen 2 holders because I didn't have one and haven't seen any Morgans for sale in one in the last few monthes. So I believe looking at recent Ebay price performance of the 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickels in MS65 that I paid quite a bit more than what this coin is worth if it's not an upgrade. I will tell you that I looked at the PCGS Price guide and it said PCGS MS65's were worth $195, which is about what I paid but I know those prices are usually higher than what I tend to pay retail wise. doh!

So.......was it a smart purchase......was I an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for buying the plastic.....?

Does anyone else own one of these Gen 2 holdered coins?

Flame away as I can take it :devil:

a69e_3.jpg

a899_3.jpg

a9d9_3.jpg

ab87_3.jpg

I had noticed the auction and the seller has really been hammering away for a few months using the old holder line to build up interest in his auctions. The images look like scans, which can be very tough to interpret, but the coin looks nice enough. If the luster is booming then the coin will be a nice snag.

I agree with Mike. The reverse has a very nice strike to it. I think that just a couple nics on the Obv is what may have kept it from going 66 back then. Standards seem to be getting a little liberal so who knows, upgrade???

I saw that one but couldn't afford to get both....same seller (thumbs u

I thought that coin looked like an upgrade candidate but I don't have a lot of experience with Commems so I let it go.......but I think you did real well on that :applause:

Yeah I've got a couple. :)

Kryptonite, very nice NGC 2 holder. Although that was listed as a second generation NGC slab in the first edition of the book, another variety that came between the black NGC and the NGC 2 turned up after publication. I believe it was listed in the update of the NGC slab generations thread that I had on the PCGS forum, but I believe the pictures were lost when my photohosting site closed down.

The intermediate variety has the same plain white front label that your does, but it has the NGC logo hot-pressed into the white insert inside the slab (as was done on the black NGC) rather than on the outer shell like yours. Both of these varieties are rare. I fact taken together they probably made fewer of these two varieties combined than they did of the black NGC. There probably aren't more than few hundred of these plain white label NGC slabs still in existence.

There is also another intermediate mule slab as well. It pairs the green bordered label of the NGC 3 slab with the hot-pressed NGC logo on the INSIDE of the slab like NGC 1 and the other intermediate slab I mentioned earlier. Currently only a single example of this variety has been reported, but there may be at least four more. The currently unique specimen contains a Robinson-Arkansas half dollar in it and has the serial number 130893-005.

There have been several other interesting varieties (And some very rare ones. Would you believe a variety that was only in production for three days? And a reduced production at that.) in the NGC slabs since the first edition.

I've GOT to finish the second edition.

Great information and yes you do need to finish..... :applause:

I still pull up that thread ATS when trying to determine what Generations I have......it's been a great resource for those of us that like the older holders so big ups to you for taking the time to complete it (worship)

I am currently creating a Signature set of nothing but old NGC slabs.....started out as just a Morgan Dollar set but as I obtain more of the older holders with different denominations.....I will expand the set further.