• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think about magicians using silver coins?

16 posts in this topic

What do you think about magicians using real silver dollars, morgan dollars, peace dollars, silver ikes, for their tricks? Many magicians chose silver dollars for the weight which helps some tricks. I'm also a magician and my friend is too, he wanted to borrow my AU morgan. It was the only one I had. I thought he'd be careful with it. Boy was I wrong. He was slamming it agianst a glass, which I'm sure left alot of bagmarks on it. Not to mention fingerprints.

Many magicians are buying MS60+ morgan dollars, peace dollars, etc. It makes me cringe. Here one magician is asking where he can find some silver dollars:

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75430

What do you think about this issue?

Interesting post Stinkeycheese. I too was a "magician" in my younger days, still have all my tricks and props but have not touched them in years. Any trick that involved coins, I used modern type coins whether they be cents, five cents, quarters, dollars etc. Bus as ibyandsellsmith notes, you but it do what you want. However I do think it is a shame that someone would take a coin and compromise it's current condition. But just look at the commercials for gold on TV where they stack them up then tip the stack over, that just always make me cringe.

Rey

an interesting post and i think that if someone uses a larger silver coin this is a good thing and can easily be used for tricks by magical magicians

butof course if you buy a nice frosty ms60 ms61 unc morgan or peace dollar then of course with the handling and use this creates wear on the coin and i bet after a few years of hard use the coin definately has more wear and many more nicks and scratches on it but then again this is a cost of business and for under 20 dollars the magician can just go out and buy another if it does get too worn

and by selling back the worn silver dollar and getting a little over 10 dollars for it makes the cost of the new one even less

but it is cool to use an older silver coin even more than 100 years old for magic tricks and i think it is a cost of doing business and not too expensive at that

great post by the way (thumbs u

i am sure many performers use lsarger silver coins in their profession

but they are always available for reasonable cost so i am all for it as does does add a coolness factor to the performance :cool:

an interesting post and i think that if someone uses a larger silver coin this is a good thing and can easily be used for tricks by magical magicians

butof course if you buy a nice frosty ms60 ms61 unc morgan or peace dollar then of course with the handling and use this creates wear on the coin and i bet after a few years of hard use the coin definately has more wear and many more nicks and scratches on it but then again this is a cost of business and for under 20 dollars the magician can just go out and buy another if it does get too worn

and by selling back the worn silver dollar and getting a little over 10 dollars for it makes the cost of the new one even less

but it is cool to use an older silver coin even more than 100 years old for magic tricks and i think it is a cost of doing business and not too expensive at that

great post by the way (thumbs u

i am sure many performers use lsarger silver coins in their profession

but they are always available for reasonable cost so i am all for it as does does add a coolness factor to the performance :cool:

Plus to the laymen, I bet it's a great conversation starter!

I think there are tens of millions of common date XF-AU morgan dollars out there and I don't think they are in any real danger from the magicians in our midst.

I'm also a magician and my friend is too, he wanted to borrow my AU morgan. It was the only one I had. I thought he'd be careful with it. Boy was I wrong. He was slamming it agianst a glass, which I'm sure left alot of bagmarks on it. Not to mention fingerprints.

Good grief, how could you have possibly expected things to end otherwise? It's a collectible coin, not a magician's prop.

What do you think about this issue?

Couldn't possibly care less.

Given all the tens of millions of Morgans and Peace dollars I could care less. Also, lest we forget, these coins were originally created to be used.

Circ common date Morgans are extremely common so it's no big deal.

Just don't let him borrow yours again. Have him get and bang up his own coin

Here is a topic I can add some insight in.... since I used to do magic many years ago and how I got into coins..... what magicians really need are very worn pieces....they are called slicks many times I have offered to magicians better coins at reasonable prices but the worn coins work better in most effects......

we also produce magicians tokens for magicians...take a look at my website or another good source is www.magicianstokensocity.com

My response is so what?

A common date Morgan dollar in low MS or AU is not worth much and only a little more common than dirt. It's hardly something to get you panties in wad over. (shrug)