• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1804 Large Cent

12 posts in this topic

HI,

Newbie here....Im wondering if anyone can help educate me as to weather this is legit or not. Im not too experienced in this field, fishing lures is my passion. But latley Ive been wanting to spread out a bit and get into something new. This was offered to me in trade with a few other coins for some old tackle I have. When I was doing research on the this in the books and on the inet. Ive noticed that most all the 1804s have the mark at the rim at 2 o'clock. If the coin does not have the mark does it mean its fake.....

Also what might be a value to this assuming the back is in the same condition. I like it and its a neat coin but I dont want to under or over trade...

I hate to ask a stupid question right off the bat, but maybe some of the good Karma Ive stored away helping value old fishing tackle for folks over the last ten years and through my website will come back and help me out...

Again, first of many questions, but thanks in advance.

Matt

Old Fishing Lures

46495-1804.JPG.5b7cdedf78096b77197aa51ea66f23c6.JPG

You no doubt realize that the 1804 large cent is a valuable coin. Give the images, I do not believe this is a real 1804 large cent and would bet this is an altered date coin.

Ive bought and sold lures with and to him for years, so I know its not a malicous attempt. He does a lot of bush kicking for lures and Im sure thats where hes picked these up over the years....Heres a few others he sent in thr group photo. Any more thoughts, comments, advice sure would be appreciated. Matt

46506-1807.JPG.c10a16fcf850919babaf6ce4d6bfc796.JPG

46507-group2.JPG.75bd79415c7500a51d32573d8b1488e8.JPG

OldFishingLure.

I.m new here, but am a very long time collector of United States obsolete coins. It's a little difficult to tell, at least for me, about your potential 1804 coin acquisition, but proceed with care. First off the 1804 is among the rarest cent in the series (1796-1807) so if it is being traded for things of high value (your lures) be doubly careful. I checked a few references that I have here and learned in the Red Book of United States Coins, all 1804 cents have the crosslet 4. At the furthest right point of the 4, a crosslet is the very small line that is up and down...wish I could show you. Can't see the back so I can't help you there. Look CAREFULLY at the 4 to see if there is any sign of tampering with it. Often, other dates were "altered" by dishonest collectors to turn a more common cent into the 1804. I see something that looks like a blob but can't tell from the picture. Also, there is a big round BLOB where the ear should be. Another warning sign. There are several "blobs" on the surface now that I look again. 'Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" states that 1804 cents often have cast copies, electrotypes and date changes (as mentioned before). Finally, most 1804's have a die break...sort of looks like a double rim...at RTY (in LIberty). The picture does not.

I don't feel real good about this coin, actually, I wouldn't TOUCH it, but perhaps there is a large cent expert that could tell you more. Also, can you post the reverse?

Welcome to a wonderful hobby, I've been at it for about 50 years, but be cautious, especially on rarer items.

RI Al

The 1861 quarter is probably the best coin of the lot. It may be worth $50+. The 1820 dime is near worthless. The 1807 large cent is decent. The Indian head cent is common and is maybe worth a dollar at the most. Hard to tell by the photos on the rest.

Oh, in case you didn't already know.........NEVER clean a coin. Novices think that they are increasing the value of coins by cleaning them, the opposite is actually true, like the 1820 dime.

p.s. If there is an "S" on the back side of the Indian Head Cent then it is worth good money, not just a dollar.

Regarding the 1820 dime, I wouldn't call it worthless, but it has obviously been cleaned,,,with an abrasive of some sort...maybe baking soda or...horror upon horrors...a BRILLO pad. I'd put it in the $20-$25 range. Can't see the date of the other dime.

RI Al

Welcome to the forum, OFL. If this fellow is of good repute as you say and you know him well, then he should not mind you taking the coins to a reputable dealer in the Ardmore, OK area(I am sure some of our forum can advise as to such a dealer in your area). Such a dealer could dispel any rumors as to the coins authenticity and value for you. As previously stated, better photos of the individual coins obverse and reverse would get you far better answers to your questions on this forum. Again, welcome.

The 1804 is a fake without a doubt. (Key proof is the highest wave of the hair, In the real 1804 it is centered under the upright of the R. On this one it is below the center of the R. Also note that the 4 is heavier and in higher relief than the other digits of the date.) If you would post a picture of the reverse I may be able to tell you what it started out its life as.