• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1852 Bolivia 1/4 Sol (Mini Coins).

16 posts in this topic

Anyone else like the mini foreign coins? This one is about the size of a US 3¢ silver. It is an 1852 Bolivia 1/4 Sol. I picked it up maybe a year ago.

1852-bolivia-(.25s).jpg

The obverse features a llama with the word Potosi under it. The reverse features Mt. Potosi and a llama and something which I never could identify.

This coin does not have a mintage listed in the Krause catalog. From what I have found out about it, many are found with holes and most are known in well circulated grades. This coin is listed at $100 in XF and there are no prices listed for higher grades. This coin is graded by NGC as MS66, quite possibly making it one of, if not the finest known. However, that is pure speculation on my part.

Very cool looking coin...I like small coins.

By the way, I saw a very cool looking small coin named "maundy" at the Long Beach Show. Seems like it's from Great Britain but is it actually a coin? From the word "maundy", I had am impression it wasn't used as coin, but as I don't have any catalog for world coins, I'm clueless.

Greg, congrats on the acquisition!! It's a lovely littly coin. Sort of reminds me of the 1/4 Real coins from Central America. Or maybe the baby gold coin 1/4 real too, which is only 11 mm.

Maundy coins were produced by the British monarchy as gifts for poor people, as a sign of charity I guess. Each year, on Maundy Tuesday, they would produce a few thousand sets and distribute to the poor population. These coins were proof sets, and more often than not they were a cherished family heirloom. Frequently they were also polished by the owners to keep them nice and new and shiny.

Sort of reminds me of the 1/4 Real coins from Central America.

I picked up one of those at the SLC show last weekend. It's a hair over 11mm. Must have been hard to punch the date in those little dies!

1889guat.25r.jpg

1889guat.25rdate.jpg

Those are cool coins. They are also cheap which is very nice. I've got an 1896 and 1900 in MS65 coming back from NGC. I wouldn't mind working on a set of these in gem unc.

I was thinking the same thing. This one isn't that nice, especially with the fingerprint, but it was cheap.

Speaking of small coins, here's some little'ns (10-12 millimeters diameter):

(Left to right and top to bottom):

Cambodia 2 pe ~1850+; U.S. 10c; Colombia 1-1/4c 1874; Guatemala 1/4 real 1896; Tonga 10 & 20 Pa'anga 1980;

Travancore 1 cash (1901); Pudokottai 1 cash (1889); kathiri State of Seiyun & Tarim 6 chomsihs 1897; Russia 1/4 kopeck 1898; Panama 2-1/2c 1903 & 1975; Travancore 2 chuckrams (1901).

http://home.psknet.com/tbirde3/smallest.jpg