• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little research into a U.S.Merchant token. Unrecorded find

7 posts in this topic

Hi all

I have received my latest eBay (France) find..

the coin is a Mexican 2 Reale silver KM# 374.12 Struck at Zacatecs with a cccccc edge. dated 1831

The counter-stamp is ADMIT / TO / WOOD'S / MINSTRELS / 444 Bd WAY / N Y.

Obverse:-

BRDWr.jpg

Revers:-

BRDW.jpg

Closeup of counter-stamp:-

BRDWCh.jpg

AY of Bd WAY under TO (also possible d of Bd to right of Y)

closeup-1.jpg

Y of Bd WAY under first O of WOOD's

close-1.jpg

So it looks like this coin has been stamped at least 4 times !

the information i have been able to find on this series of tokens is.

AAA.jpg

NY 964B (1855-57) Counter-stamped on Spanish-American 2 Reals. Dates examined: 1774, 1775, 1776-PTS-PR, 1778, 1785, 1788, 1789, 1790, 1793, 1794, 1806, 1815) There are 14 reported specimens

AA.jpg

NY 964C 1855-57 Counter-stamped on Spanish-American 4 reales only one recorded which was a 1813 (Gould 314; Kirtley Nov 1991 sale lot Q008)

NY 964D

and the only other Mexican one so far recorded there is no picture available is

a 1827-Zs-AO 2 reales, type KM# 347.12. Note on the host coin: - The A of AO on this coin is not an inverted V but a properly cut A, Thus an unreported coin Variety. (Brunk 44140X;Rula collection.,ex-Ray Lefman)

this means that "so far" this is only the second one of these Wood's tokens which has turned up on a Mexican coin.

as for the grading of the token do you grade the Counter-stamp or the coin ? and will NGC grade and encapsulate this type of coin/token ? i am also thinking of sending for conservation to remove the crud from the counter-stamp..god i look after my finds Eh!!!!!!!

So it has been fun finding all this information about my find and any more any one can find out for me will be greatly received.. and or any coments..

thanks for looking dooly (thumbs u

Is the crud in the counterstap damagining the coin.....i.e. PVC or verdigris etc? If not I wouldn't have it cleaned as the coin is old and the crud looks like it belongs there (shrug)

Other then that.....very interesting coins and some nice detective work on your part. (thumbs u

Is the crud in the counterstamp damaging the coin.....i.e. PVC or verdigris etc? If not I wouldn't have it cleaned as the coin is old and the crud looks like it belongs there (shrug)

Other then that.....very interesting coins and some nice detective work on your part. (thumbs u

I would not say the Crud is damaging the coin and it looks like a natural build up of 150 years of grease/grime. but i think it would accentuate the counter-stamp. and i picked it up for very little so i will very happily invest in this token for my collection.

What will i find next !!!!!!!

closeup-1.jpg

That's pretty cool, Dooly, but given that it is inscribed, "Admit Toyo", don't you think you should give it to our compatriot in Japan? :devil:

Chris

I think I would leave it alone, I don't think the crud is hurting things and I'm afraid if you had it curated you would lose the nice contrast it has. No I don't believe NGC would slab this item. NCS might but if I sent it to them I would do so with orders to authenticate and holder ONLY, not to curate.