• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something Fishy?

10 posts in this topic

I was cruising the bay at work today and saw this. Is this an old type slab that I don't recognize, or is there something rotten in the state of Denmark?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-NGC-Mint-State-65-Full-Bell-Lines-White-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ170159077054QQihZ007QQcategoryZ11973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I tried to verify the slab number, but I couldn't find the place to do it. NGC should make this feature more available, like on the PCGS website. Especially with the increasing number of counterfeit slabs.

I tried to verify the slab number, but I couldn't find the place to do it. NGC should make this feature more available, like on the PCGS website. Especially with the increasing number of counterfeit slabs.

You're right... if NGC is going to work as closely with eBay as they are, they need to allow people to verify their cert numbers without having to be a member!

Is someone from NGC/Collectors' Society listening?? hm

Scott :hi:

It is not just NGC. NGC will not allow a person to look up a Cerification number unless they are a paid member.If you call NGC or ask them via E mail then they will verify the number for you.NGC will alow you to look up the population reports .

PGCS will allow you to look up Certification numbers if you are not a paid up member but will not allow you to look up population reports.Both have some benefits that is not present in the others.

It doesn't cost that much to be a member of NGC so I can't see the problem.

Huh, never seen THAT before. W's were used at one point to designate Cameo'd Proof coins, but I've NEVER seen it done for MS coins before. Interesting...

"W" was used to designate a white coin. Here's one I sold a while back, though it's on a newer slab.

Edited to add: It seems I was wrong about the age of the slab. The one in the ebay auction is an NGC8 that Conder says was used in Sep 2000 only. The one I posted is an NGC6 or NGC7. I can't tell because the difference is in the hologram on the reverse and I didn't save a picture of the reverse of the slab.

46347-1963-D_slab.jpg.ac15a5f07a43c47061d675161e651e92.jpg

"W" was used to designate a white coin. Here's one I sold a while back, though it's on a newer slab.

Edited to add: It seems I was wrong about the age of the slab. The one in the ebay auction is an NGC8 that Conder says was used in Sep 2000 only. The one I posted is an NGC6 or NGC7. I can't tell because the difference is in the hologram on the reverse and I didn't save a picture of the reverse of the slab.

I was looking through FBL franklins, not white ones. This one caught my attention because the serial number is below the barcode, I had never seen that before. The font is also different. Thanks for the info guys.