• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint to Release Platinum 2007 Reverse Proof coin in December....

16 posts in this topic

as reported in CoinWorld. A two piece 20th Anniversary Platinum set will be released in Dec. consisting of one 1/2 ounce Reverse coin and one 1/2 ounce Proof coin having a special reverse. No pricing, exact date or limits have been set. Will you be a buyer ? Will these 20th Anniversary sets be the Winner the silver and gold 20th anniversary sets were ?

I'll be in line for one set !

The silver and gold eagles are far more popular, I think. Platinum in general is just not as popular, and it is far more expensive. I think these will be more popular than the regular platinum sets, but will not reach the insane levels of the silver and gold reverse proof sets. Just my opinion.

The platinum coins are out of my reach, too. But I would love to see the silver and gold come back as reverse proofs! Especially the silver Eagle... I think that's a phenomenal looking coin!

Scott :hi:

since they are just half ounce coins and not ounce coins I think I'll buy two sets, have them graded, and if I hit at least 1 pair of 70's I'll sell them {the 70's} and see if I can make enough to get my 69's as a "free" set

I did this with the silver 3-coin set {bought 5} and have 2 free sets-one graded and 1 in the box still

I think it's famous last words to say that this may not reach the height of the gold and silver anniversary sets. But then again, I do agree that platinum is more of a niche market and, though I like the designs more than the bastardization of St. Gaudens', I am too poor and so only started buying the 1/10 oz version last year.

A dealer who came to our coin club a few months ago raised a good point that I think pertains to this: When the Mint releases something unusual - e.g., not just a proof set, or a bag of the new quarters - at the end of the year, the chances for it to bring a large premium are increased because many people work on a yearly coin budget that tracks the calendar year. For those that are married, their spouses simply won't permit them to suddenly dump a few extra $hundred or $thousand on coins in the last half of December. And the release is lost somewhat in the general hype of holiday gift-buying ... until January.

Take that for what it's worth - if I had the cash, I'd do what Jackson just suggested, but there's no way I can do that on these. Then again, I thought the Jefferson first spouse would do well, so I had 2 friends get a proof each for me, and they're averaging $500 on eBay now instead of $800. :(

Having the two platinum coins being minted 1/2 ounce will make it more affordable than the 1 ounce versions. The platinum coins do have very low mintages, so I am wondering what the mint will come up with on the total mintage of these sets?

Platinum hit a all time high this week.

I think that it is probably correct to assume that by coming out at the end of the year that people might not have the money but then it depends on how long they offer them for sale.

Last I checked Platinum was $1400.00 an ounce so just the metal in 1/2 ounce is $700.00

Look at the 2007W Silver Eagle .There is a population of 13,000 in MS70. This is ridiculous. The Dealers went wild trying to comapre it to the 2006W and its mintage.Coin shows on T.V which are over priced anyway are selling them for $149.00 in MS69 and you can get an MS70 on EBay for less than $70.00.

I'm one of those folks on the budget plan, but I doubt that compares to the increase in spending on mint items at christmas time.

When is the dolly dollar coming out? I'd think the mint would canibalize the first spouse coin sales for the 20th anniv platninum set, by releasing it in dec.

When is the dolly dollar coming out? I'd think the mint would canibalize the first spouse coin sales for the 20th anniv platninum set, by releasing it in dec.

I would guess Dolly Madison is coming out November 30. Just a guess. Or December 15.

And it's 10th anniversary platinum, not 20th. Though in reality it's the 11th year (1997-2007 inclusive).