• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1799 Dollar

21 posts in this topic

I have to thank Harry Laibstain for this beauty, and what a nice guy, and what great coins he carries.

Can anyone add to the identification of this dollar for me?

Thanks

Michael

589a93d69ea20_46341-17991Obverse.JPG.15add2cd46eeb5df9b3572814bbdd4c4.JPG

589a93d6a18ec_46342-17991reverse.JPG.b40e18b0096337bd070d44dca8d454bd.JPG

This bust dollar can be attributed by just the obverse. As described in the Bolender book, there is a "heavy crack from the rim right of the date, curves up to the left, toward another crack". This is die-state "b", and it's easy to tell why this obverse die was used only in one die marriage - B-16 (as correctly attributed earlier). Being that the die damaged so quickly, it was not usable beyond this die marriage.

Congratulations on a nice coin!

Tom B is correct. It is a Bolander-16, die state 3, considered to be Rarity-3.

This veriety often shows a cool semicircular die crack from the right of the date and curving through the bust of Ms. Liberty, such as on your specimen.

Nice pick-up!

Harry L. is definately one of the good guys out there.

neat coin!!

oh my the stories this coin could tell :applause:

i can imagine thomas jefferson himself getting this dollar in change and seeing it with miss liberty and all the sacrifice that americans fought for tomake this country free and great this brings a tear to his venerable olde eye

but of course with a silver dollar being a better part of a days or even a weeks wages for many in this time period he passes it along in exchange for some goods and or services and eventually this coin winds up with a store owner

who sees it and loves the coin as it is the birth year of his first born son so he decides to keep it and pass it down on the line to his son

eventually this coin reaches one member of the family possibly? around the turn of the 20th century and the member it is intrusted to is a young child who desides that after years of passing the coin down thruogh the family and the reaction of the silver to the environment has deeply toned the coin to an almost black think skin and appearance so he desides to give it a little soap and water under the sink and so the coin is still nice and fresh but the details can be better seen and the coin is a little more brighter and eye appealling at least to him!

the coin contiunes to get passed down by the family until the deep drak days of the depression in the early 1930's and it is sold for a really good sum to pay for human necessities and the subsistance of life during these hard time

and eventually winds up in a cabinet of a collector and he puts the coin away in an envelope as it does not quite fit in his album pages.....

by the time the 1960's hit the coin is again sold by the estate of this long time collector and again it winds up in another collectors cabinet as it is a nice higher grade circ. coin with a good look and a wonderful 18th century date and makes an excellent type coin per se.....................

of course after all this time lovingly appreciated by the advanced collectors which have held this coin for decades it is carefully placed inside a kraft envelope and sometimes lovingly looked at and examined for many different reasons!!

this makes the coin gently retone to a pleasing hue and again develop another thick nicely toned skin as it is finally left untouched by no more cleaning by these astute collectors

again the coin makes it rounds by the later 1990s as the collector is now into his 80's and is sold again into commercial numismaticcoin channels for a rather princely sum and off to pcgs it goes for their determination and pricing for maximum exposure to the next collector willing to pay the fee to take it home

and so now it is lovingly in the collection of michael king

oh my what tales it could tell when jefferson first saw this coin in circulation the mysteries we shall never know

I thoroughly enjoyed your tale, Michael. And, I doubt that you're too far from the truth except for your Thomas Jefferson sensationalism. ;)