• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do in this situation? UPDATED

16 posts in this topic

UPDATED: Hi everyone, got an update. Got a response back from clark, here's my email I sent him (just to clarify things)

My email: "I'm beginning to think that you are either mad at me

> or really don't like me because I ordered from you

> in the past and I admit I wasn't the nicest about

> it. For one, you say you are sold out but on your

> website it still says the coins are available, and

> it's been many days since I last emailed you.

>

> Can you honestly tell me everything is OK between

> us so I can order from you in the future again?

> Thanks

"

His response:

"yes"

So does this mean everything is OK between us and I can order from him again?

I made a thread awhile ago about the coin I was going to buy, a gold bar/coin japanese coin/bar from clark smith at www.coinvault.com .

Well, after 2 emails. No response. I emailed him again with *please reply* and he did. He said he was sold out of all of them. So I waited 2 or more weeks, and when I went on his site again, sure enough, they weren't sold out. I'm beginning to believe he isn't telling me the truth. Because I ordered from him in the past , I received a scratched coin with a pretty deep scratch. He was nice to and offered to refund my money but I was a real jerk at the time and I wasn't very happy about it.

So I think he doesn't want to do business with me anymore, and thus is why he is doing. I don't know what to do...I think if anyone else asked him for one of them he would sell it to them. Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but I sent him another email and asked him about it. What would you do in this situation?

Jeez Stinky. This may be a good lesson for you. It’s important to be gracious in your transactions even if you are bothered by something that happened. If he was willing to return your money there was no reason to be a jerk about it – at least not overtly.

Think of it this way, you want to be the one who decides if you will still do business with someone. If you can suck up a disappointment graciously people will want to do business with you, if you’re a jerk they are likely to prefer to do business with others.

Jeez Stinky. This may be a good lesson for you. It’s important to be gracious in your transactions even if you are bothered by something that happened. If he was willing to return your money there was no reason to be a jerk about it – at least not overtly.

Think of it this way, you want to be the one who decides if you will still do business with someone. If you can suck up a disappointment graciously people will want to do business with you, if you’re a jerk they are likely to prefer to do business with others.

Yeah I agree it is a good lesson. This happened awhile ago and I wouldn't be surprised if he's saying he's sold out more to be polite rather than flat out telling me he doesn't want to do business with me.

You're right, stinky! Being a jerk does have its drawbacks. Send him an apology for you being so dumb, and tell him that you won't bother him again.

Chris

Stinky…In addition to the advice you have already received let me add this.

I do not know the seller you are referring to and do not wish to bad mouth them, however according to the information you have provided I would bet the seller would rather do business with a less knowledgeable buyer. Good luck. (thumbs u

....Yeah I agree it is a good lesson. This happened awhile ago and I wouldn't be surprised if he's saying he's sold out more to be polite rather than flat out telling me he doesn't want to do business with me.

Another possibility, though probably less likely, is that he was sold out at the time you first tried to buy one, but he got more in, later. If he doesn't reply to your last email it's further evidence that he is just trying to avoid doing business with you. In that case, it's best for you to let it go and move on.

....Yeah I agree it is a good lesson. This happened awhile ago and I wouldn't be surprised if he's saying he's sold out more to be polite rather than flat out telling me he doesn't want to do business with me.

Another possibility, though probably less likely, is that he was sold out at the time you first tried to buy one, but he got more in, later. If he doesn't reply to your last email it's further evidence that he is just trying to avoid doing business with you. In that case, it's best for you to let it go and move on.

Thanks mark! Good thinking there...good thinking.

I say let it go and do Business with somebody else. At the very least you will always wonder say if you get a coin that you do not like for whatever reason. that he might be doing it deliberately.You will always wonder about the reasons.

Best to let it go and take the lesson in stride and find another source.If the guy feels that he will want to do business in the Futuren then he will let you know when he doesn't hear from you.

You have already written two E mails expresssing your situation.

This past summer, I had a somewhat similar situation. Michael Fey was selling the "Superbird" collection for a very close friend who was having health problems. I called Mr. Fey and discussed the purchase of one. I finally decided on a PF65 based on his description and price.

During the course of our conversation, I mentioned how helpful his (and Jeff Oxman's) little book, "The VAM Keys" had been for me. I also told him about the unusual '82-CC I have, and how I didn't agree with Leroy's assessment of it when I sent it to him. Mr. Fey asked me to send him some photos, which I did. In the e-mail, I quoted Leroy Van Allen's written assessment and why I disagreed with it.

In the meantime, I received the Superbird and I was very disappointed in it. I really had to stretch my imagination, even with my stereomicroscope, to visualize the "s". I called Mr. Fey immediately and told him that I would like to return it. He stated that he would have to deduct his out-of-pocket shipping cost from the refund, and I had no problem with that.

A couple weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything from Mr. Fey about the Morgan. So, I sent him another e-mail asking if he had had the time to examine the photos, and if he had formed any opinions. I got his reply the same day, and he stated, "Send it to Leroy." That was all he said. No explanation! Nothing! I didn't need to have someone hit me in the head with a hammer to make me realize that he was probably miffed about the return of the Superbird, and that he wasn't going to lend his expertise to the analysis of the Morgan because of it.

It's unfortunate that things like this have to happen, but I find it very hard to accept that Mr. Fey, or for that matter any other coin collector who has been involved in numismatics for any length of time, has never been in a situation where he has had to return a coin for a legitimate reason. Should I have expected that there would be a certain amount of disappointment on his part because of the return? Of course! Should I have expected that he would (now) decline to offer any opinions about the Morgan because of it? No, I think it was totally unprofessional almost to the extent of childishness. Will I ever initiate any further contact with Mr. Fey? Nope! The ball is now in his court.

Chris

I totally agree with you on this Chris. I too had some initial conversations with him on these coins while at the same time compliling opinions and information from these forums. As a result of the excellent and infromative posts here I chose not to purchase from him. But I must say that in my few conversations with him, they were anything but professional and I was skeptic from the start not because of the coin, just the general feeling.

Rey