• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do die-cracks result in a body bag?

12 posts in this topic

I read NGC's No Grade Booklet (pdf) but it did not specifically address die cracks. I am planning to make my first ever submission to NGC soon, and among the coins I was thinking of sending in is this 1883 Shield Nickel with die cracks--not sure if these photos will show them well, but they're there. (Look at about 7:00 on the obverse, for instance.)

5c-1883-obverse.jpg

5c-1883-reverse.jpg

So, any advice from the more experienced welcome. Also take this opportunity to post your favorite coin with die cracks (whether slabbed or not) and if my lousy photos make anyone brave enough to predict a grade that would also be of interest. Thanks.

NO!

Mint caused marks like die breaks should never cause a body bag. If the TPGs body bagged all the Shield nickels that had die breaks, there would be very few certified examples.

Anything that has happened from the minting process will never cause a bb.

How about a cracked planchet or a massive planchet lamination. There is one example of a 1793 half cent that has a massive dropped planchet lamination. The coin probably grades AU without that, but I don't think that NGC or PCGS would grade it.

Severe planchet flaws/laminations might be a problem, but not die cracks. The latter frequently add lots of character to coins, and can be helpful in tracking die usage. Large cents, 1921D Morgans, CBHs, etc. are commonly seen with die cracks in high grades.