• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Investments

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has an idea if any of this years anual coin sets (2007 mint set, 2007 proof set, 2007 silver proof) are going to increase in price. Could they do the same thing the 1999 proof sets did or how about what the 2001 silver sets did. Do you think their a good investment. Thanks Jeremy

First year of issue is always more desirable because it is the first. The 1999 sets are popular because people want them to complete the sets they may have started after the initial release. The 1999 proof sets are also popular because there are recognized errors with the Lincoln cent. When I sold two 1999 proof sets as Mint sealed, I refused to open the sets to see if the errors existed--I probably could have made more if the errors were part of the set.

The 2001 sets are an anomaly because of the timing of the release of the sets and the politico-economic environment. Although we were told to "go shopping" after September 11, that did not translate into sales for the Mint. This lead to lower sales numbers for these issues.

That being said, I ordered extra 2007 sets. I anticipate increased interest in the presidential dollars in the future. Also, if the bill that is in the Senate that removes the edge lettering from the Presidential Dollars passes, the 2007 dollars become one-year types, which will make values rise.

Remember, speculating like this is a gamble and don't commit money you cannot afford. Also, do not be surprised if the coins do not go up in value--or as high as you would like!

Scott :hi:

I was wondering about something. Since the U.S. Mint is sending out Presidential proof sets with other sets is it possible that the U.S.Mint is doing this so that they can get rid of the Present Presidentail sets faster so that they can start to produce the ones without the rim edge lettering faster?

I was wondering about something. Since the U.S. Mint is sending out Presidential proof sets with other sets is it possible that the U.S.Mint is doing this so that they can get rid of the Present Presidentail sets faster so that they can start to produce the ones without the rim edge lettering faster?

Since the Mint sets are specially struck on burnished planchets, I do not think that is the case. Besides, the only way to get rid of the edge lettering is to change the law--which is not likely since it is known that during markup of the house budget bill for the Treasury the provision that would remove edge lettering was struck from the bill.

Scott :hi:

The UNC versions of the First Spouse series don't seem to be selling. Proof are selling out damn quick (got one this time!) so the MS ones might end up a good investment themselves down the track.

Totally agreed re Presidential dollars. The first proof set should be a good investment over time, as will the first day covers. They also sell out pretty quickly. More often than not, thats a good sign that its a good investment ! people want them..

Now that I said that, I see the UNC version has sold out too ?

Product is not available.

I guess I should have got one ! Love the Jefferson's Liberty design.