• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this damage from the edge-incusing process?

4 posts in this topic

Since I don't really follow the presidential dollars and just want one example of each president, I just buy 2 $25 rolls for each one as they come out and pick the best. Here's the best Jefferson Dollar I could get out of $50 worth (two bank rolls). I'm curious about the parallel scrapes along the 3-o'clock to 6-o'clock rim on the obverse. Are they counting machine marks or are they possibly a result of the coin's trip through the edge-incusing machine?

Thoughts appreciated.

jefferson_dollar.jpg

The only thing about that is that most counting wheel damage I've seen has been in the form of an arc around the coin. These features seem more linear. I dunno - maybe someone else can weigh in.

I've seen a lot of 'first day' presidential dollars and they for the most part look like this one pcitured above. In other words they look like .

Meanwhile, you get new state quarters from circulation and they look a lot better.

I think it IS a problem from the edge lettering process.