• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1804 1/2 cent, crosslet, stems or not?

6 posts in this topic

I'm looking at this coin and want to make sure I know how to tell the stems vs. no stems. Near as I can tell, the stems are simply the very ends of the wreaths on reverse, whether or not they stick out past the junction, above the ribbon; a no stems version doesn't have these extending past the junction. Is this correct?

Yep, that's it. This is a no-stems version I've got here. By the way, EZ, that coin is gorgeous. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks. I actually bought it raw but was very lucky that it is so gorgeous. It was subsequently graded by PCGS as VF35. I love the color that is completely original and is how old copper should look.

Actually the "no stems variety" was probably a die cutting mistake. There was only reverse die that was made without the stems, but it had an incredible life. It survived to produce the most common die varieties for the years 1804, 1805 and 1806. The 1804 Plain 4, stemless half cent is the common variety in the entire series IMO.

By 1806 it had finally rusted in the humid Philadelphia atmosphere, but still made a large number of the 1806, small 6, stemless coins. It was paired with four difference obverse dies.