• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can NCS do for proof coins with fingerprints?

5 posts in this topic

I have several coins from about 1988 that have 1 fingerprint on several coins.

What can NCS do for me? Will the coin still grade with NGC afterwards? Are there guarantees that it will grade? or am I better off sending them as is?

Thanks!

If it has not corroded the surface of the coin, they can remove it. What coins are they? Chances are, it is not really worth the money. If they have a fingerprint, they probably will never grade PR-70, and that is really the only reason to risk grading them, unless they are some kind of rarity.

The coins are the 1980 Olympic 6 coin 1 Rouble set in proof!

They are pretty rare, I've only seen a handful (2 sets) of these coins for sale in the past few years. The regular UNC/PL coins are plentiful but proofs are extremely rare.

I recently bought a set but 4 of the 6 coins have fingerprints!

I don't think they are that rare. Krause only lists them at about $25 each. The most valuable one is the Moscow/Kremlin at $50. For these prices, I would recommend dipping them yourself (but be careful, ask others or a dealer to help/guide you). Don't bother with NGC.