• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Buy the coin before the book," but how?

5 posts in this topic

How does everybody around here get hold of coin reference books? I've searched my local bookstore, without much luck, and the public library, with a little better luck. There are several books I'd like to look through, but they're often out of print or simply hard to find. I might find them for sale online, but the cost can be prohibitive. I guess I'm looking for a way to check them out, like from a library.

I see that ANA has a book loan program. Is this the way to go? Do local coin clubs offer the same?

I have the benefit of living in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, so I really feel for those out in the sticks.

I'd look into the ANA, or even a local coin club. My local club has a library. That will be the cheapest way to go...

You can often find affordable books on eBay too, and Amazon.com has links to used books which can often be found at affordable (i.e. discounted) prices. Fellow collectors also sell their libraries from time to time, and forums dedicated to these types of transactions can be found here, ATS, and elsewhere.

Good luck...Mike

I guess it all depends on what books you want and what books you want to borrow. You haven't mentioned anything specific. I would suggest that if there are one or two key books that pertain directly to your collecting interests, that you buy them because you will find that you will refer back to them again and again. Unless you have a photographic memory, this is probably the best course of action. There are plenty of used books stores online.

Chris

If you are not sure if you want to buy the book or not then borrowing it from the ANA is probably the best bet. Once you know for sure that you want a book for your own library then buying it online is often the best and cheapest way to do it. Amazon was mentioned which is good for new books but check out the used ones there are often some good bargains there. Another really good site to check is www.abebooks.com It searches the inventory of thousands of used bookstores and can turn up some really hard to find books.

As for the comment about the cost being prohibitive, I have some bad news. If you want anything more than just the most general references be prepared to fork over some significant money.A decent beginning library can easily cost you between two and five thousand dollars. I probably spend a couple thousand dollars a year on my library and I'm not buying some of the really expensive books I'd like. Most books I buy now are in the $100 to $200 apiece range.