• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OH, you got a bunch a slabs...

6 posts in this topic

I've read that some fire proof safes develop a moist environment inside which is bad for coins. On the other hand gun safes should work well. They are designed to keep the guns from corroding so should be as dry as possible. Coins are like guns in that they both are made out of metal smile.gif

Even if you keep your coins in a safe deposit box at the bank (like I do) it is probably a good idea to store them with a dessicant. That is those little packets that absorb moisture to keep things dry.

I keep the slabs in a safe deposit box, but I don't keep them there naked. 893whatthe.gif They are each in individual Intercept Shield holders and then I use Intercept Shield boxes to store ten holders each. As if that were not enough, the boxes are then wrapped in thick, food-grade plastic bags with the air forced out. I use food-grade bags since PVC is not allowed in food-grade plastic.

Hey There

My big hobby is collecting antique firearms, and I have a couple of gun safes. They don't protect against moisture in the least. A good gun safe will have a decent fireproof level, and can be waterproof. However ambient air moisture is the culprit. I use a combination of hydrosorbent silica gel (available in a variety of sizes and can be recharged by your oven) and a "golden rod” dehumidifier. Using that combo has kept me rust free for many years, and gun steel will rust in the blink of an eye, or so it seems.

As far as storing coins, a gun safe would work as well as any other safe. Even a 14 long gun safe weighs 300lbs+ and your average thief probably has neither the skill to crack it or the strength to move it out (most gun safes also can be bolted to the floor or wall).

That being said, I wouldn't buy one just to store coins, unless you have thousands of them to store. It’s just too big and expensive.