• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Had a $10K "Coin Coupon"..what would you buy?

24 posts in this topic

Ok, my first time posting a new thread.....The question is; If you had a $10,000 coupon that could only be spent on coins, what would you buy?

I am interested in whether people would buy a single coin that they always wanted, fill several holes in sets, or start a completely new set that they always wanted to pursue....

I would either just spend it all on the nicest Flowing Hair Half Dollar I could find for $10K...or

Maybe a nice 1911-D gold Quarter Eagle Indian in AU+ and an 1877 3-cent nickel {if I could find one}

I would buy a couple new, and replace a few Lincolns-such as 1909Svdb, 1909S, 1911S, 1912S, 1914D all MS64 red-so who's giving me the $10K. I want my coupon NOW! Your not going to give it to me, are you? :pullhair:

I am interested in whether people would buy a single coin that they always wanted, fill several holes in sets, or start a completely new set that they always wanted to pursue....

I'm a set-hole-filler. There are some obscure coins I'm looking for that I haven't found yet, not because of price, but because of true scarcity.

Aside from those, I would get a circulation-strike 1935 NZ Waitangi crown, 1876 Newfoundland 20 cent piece in AU or so, 1876 half eagle in VF, and 1876 eagle in VF.

I've had 10g's to spend on coins, and I bought a bunch of and lost my .

If, however it was free money and I had a choice. I would buy high grade, key dates after, of course, I bought an AU three legged Buffalo, certified by NGC.

I would buy an 1892 proof 65 Morgan dollar to complete the birth year set of my grandfather and spend the rest on a 1897 birth year set for my grandma. They were the best :)

I would try to find an 1836 plain edge AU Gobrecht dollar. Original and sort of crusty with just enough luster underneath to make you say, wow great coin.

Re: If You Had a $10K+ "Coin Coupon"..what would you buy?

a great original undipped almost unc. 1794 half dime

or

a really choice xf+ original non cleaned and dipped on a non clipped full weight completely centered planchet 1652 small flan pine tree shilling as these are rare to non existant in almost unc. and higher condition

or

a killer gem business strike 1858 small letters flyer cameo prooflike again a business strike struck from proof dies

or

a choice uncirculated original skinned prooflike better date 1835 classic head quarter eagle

93S F/VF morgan, and a high end '14D linc

or maybe just a '56 flyer

perhaps a decent chain cent

a '16 stlq?

the 3 big barber q's?

the last half of the 3 cent silver series?

buncha saints?

..a bag of 90% wouldn't hurt either (hopefully)

i'm a set guy/hole filler as well... i'd most likely fill some holes

it's 2am, i should be sleeping instead of dreaming?

I think I would go with a MS60 / MS61 1921-S Walking Liberty Half Dollar as without such a coin coupon I'm unlikely to ever own this key date. I could get a low grade one, I suppose, but the Walking Liberty Half is probably my favorite series and I do not like how they wear. The lower grades look worse to me than lower grades in lots of other coins, so for this series I'd only ever be satisfied with an MS coin. If this link works, here's one that went for under 10k that I'd be glad to own:

232140128o.jpg

232140128r.jpg