• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Clifton, NJ

1 post in this topic

I went to the monthly Clifton, NJ coin show today. The Clifton show is a smaller show, about 30 dealers and is held on the third Sunday of the Month from September through June.

This show has been growing for the past couple of years. About five years ago, there were usually about 20 dealers and a couple of new dealers have been showing up every few months until now the show has about 30.

The show usually features more raw coins than slabbed coins and generally features less expensive and relatively common coins. The show has a nice mix of US and foreign coins and usually has some currency, postcards, pocket knives, watches and what-have-you.

I didn't see anything that really called my name today. I was a bit disappointed because one of the world currency dealers (who has a nice selection of US checks) wasn't there today.

I did see a couple of nice early (green label) NGC slabs, but as they had not-inexpensive coins in them, I passed for the moment. (one was a 1938 PF-64 Jefferson nickel and the other was a 1913-D T2 MS-65 Buffalo).

There was a medal and token dealer there who had two of the shield-shaped St. Louis World's Fair medals (designed by A.A. Weinman) as well as a couple of "Bryan dollars", but they were uniface, instead of the type with the wagon wheel on the other side.

The non-coin items that did call my name were: a French Revolution-era assignat for 250 livres. I'ts physically impressive (5 3/4" x 8") and a nice piece of history; and, a post card (from 1907) with a picture of the downtown area of the town next to mine.

All-in-all, it was a nice show.